Contribute
Register

Dual graphic cards recommendation (rotation, 4 monitors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte X58A-UD5, Asus P9X79WS
CPU
i7 3500, Xeon E5 2620
Graphics
Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT, GTX 670 x 2
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello All,

I have been trying to get dual cards working in my Hackintosh, with display rotation.

-Tried EVGA GTX470's, supported dual with DSDT edit, but NO rotation (well, black screen with mouse, but that doesn't count...)
-Tried Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon 5770's, can't get them both recognized at once with any success (get snow and corruption on 2nd card).

I've tried DSDTs, alternate bootloaders, hacking NVCAP, feature strings, etc. No luck...

Any recommendations on the "best" card for this purpose? Am thinking of trying to get some older GTX260's or GTX285's.... Let me know if any of you have had luck with any of these cards in the above application.

Cheers,
DK

Thanks! I had considered that card at one point but had thought the display adapters might add up (to actually get 4-5 separate DVI connections).

However, I did solve my problem by buying 2 x PNY (Nvidia) 9800 GT's locally. They actually even booted up fine with the same DSDT as my GTX 470's... 4 monitors, rotation, easy in OSX, Win 7, and Win XP!

Interestingly (and I chalk this up to the early-stage drivers for the Furnaces...er, Fermis) I am seeing about 60% of the framerate I saw with the 470's, in Cinebench and in the Unigine Heaven demo under Windows.

Ultimately, I am guessing that the Fermis will come into their own as drivers mature. I like the idea of the design. But I didn't need blazing performance (9800GT's seem a good mid-range card) and having all the functionality working now seemed more important.

And, I can still do 3D later, and experiment with CUDA (albeit less power). Plus, much cheaper...
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back