Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
GTX 1050
Hi all,

I just put together a new build with a 6700K and Z170x UD5 TH but kept my two graphics cards from my old build (EGVA GTX 740 and NVDIA 9800GT) to keep costs as contained as I could. I used the Jerivalu guide and have it up and running now with dual booting with Windows 10. Prior to getting the dual booting to work, the OSX booting was working perfectly, with the MB posting and clover running on the GTX 740 and then El Capitan loading via the same card (with the other card working for extra monitors). For some reason, since setting up Windows, now the post screen and clover boot screen are running of the GTX 740 but El Capitan boots to the 9800 GT. I am using the alternate NVIDIA drivers...if I don't I can't get the system to boot. If I boot with nv_disable=1, it will boot to the GTX740, so I figure this is something I can adjust with my boot file, but I am not sure how. I am really not sure what changed when I got the dual boot setup. Any ideas? Thanks!

Hi all,

I just put together a new build with a 6700K and Z170x UD5 TH but kept my two graphics cards from my old build (EGVA GTX 740 and NVDIA 9800GT) to keep costs as contained as I could. I used the Jerivalu guide and have it up and running now with dual booting with Windows 10. Prior to getting the dual booting to work, the OSX booting was working perfectly, with the MB posting and clover running on the GTX 740 and then El Capitan loading via the same card (with the other card working for extra monitors). For some reason, since setting up Windows, now the post screen and clover boot screen are running of the GTX 740 but El Capitan boots to the 9800 GT. I am using the alternate NVIDIA drivers...if I don't I can't get the system to boot. If I boot with nv_disable=1, it will boot to the GTX740, so I figure this is something I can adjust with my boot file, but I am not sure how. I am really not sure what changed when I got the dual boot setup. Any ideas? Thanks!

The cards are completely different and have different requirements. The issue is likely that one card requires Nvidia injection (9800 GT) and one doesn't (GT 740).

The cards are completely different and have different requirements. The issue is likely that one card requires Nvidia injection (9800 GT) and one doesn't (GT 740).

I do understand that. That said, using the NVIDIA drivers, I was able to get both working. Even now they both work fine, with the exception of this new post/OS X boot discrepancy, which if there isn't an easy fix I can live with I guess as I have monitors hooked up to both cards anyway. It's just frustrating because it was working initially and a don't know what change I made that threw it into this situation.

Why don't you just attach both displays to the GT 740?
Hi Fl0r!an. Thanks for the advice, but I actually need a 3 monitor system for the work I do...otherwise that's what I'd do.

The system otherwise seems to be humming so I don't think I will replace the 9800 card at this point, so if anyone has other thoughts it is much appreciated!

Thanks again. You all are the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back