Contribute
Register

Dual Booting Windows 7 + Mac (Mountain Lion) with both Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse - Bluetooth Se

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same problem here, working flawless only on BT 2.0 devices because they rely only on a rather simple "linkkey" value, BT 4 LE need additional key values to pair succesfully (EDIV,IRK,ERAND,LTK...etc)

Hello!

I have Mac OS X 10.5.8 (BT adapter Dynamode BT-USB-M2 and Targus AKB32UK) and Windows 7 Ultimate X64. Keyboard work in Mac OSX and Windows but when I reboot and change OS, keyboard not work.

Unfortunately when I paste "sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist" terminal show "Domain /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist does not exist"

Where I found this numbers "12345ab6 78c91234 567891d2 3456789e"?

Did you ever find a solution to this?

OK, been lurking in this forum and trying to solve this problem for a while, so I hope this helps anybody facing the same predicament. I registered an account on this forum just to post this.

I use a MacBook Pro 13" mid-2017 with touchbar, and run both operating systems with Bootcamp on Windows 10.
I bought a 'Microsoft Designer Bluetooth mouse' to go with this setup, a product which is advertised as a Bluetooth 4.0 mouse. With this, I could pair to only one operating system - it's either or. It doesn't do both. I tried the linkkey registry trick described in the past pages of this thread, to no avail - I suppose the problem either lie with the fact that this is a Bluetooth 4.0 device which has different requirements for linkkeys, or that Mac OS High Sierra imposed a change in the linkkey procedure as opposed to earlier versions of Mac OS; either way, I couldn't be bother to solve it from a code perspective as I'm not very technically minded.

What followed was that I bought another mouse, which looks similar to the Microsoft Designer Bluetooth mouse I have, but is supposedly an unbranded OEM mouse which claims multi-device support. I first paired it in Windows 10, then rebooted in Mac OS to pair, and now it works functionally in both operating systems. (Doing it the other way round, i.e Mac OS first, then Windows 10, renders the mouse unable to pair in Windows 10)

The link to the mouse purchase is here:
https://shopee.sg/product/6078026/100213603/
(This is a Singaporean website, I suppose if you're living elsewhere than Asiam you could find the same model if you google the keyword "VMW-181" on Amazon or such. These OEM products from China seem to be flooding the web and various e-commerce channels under different brand names - but pay attention to the photos and instructions as they are almost always similar.)

The only problem I found with this mouse is the response time - I feel a microlag (about 50-100ms) whenever I activate the mouse after it's been left idle. As it's advertised to be a Bluetooth 3.0 device, I suppose it doesn't have the same Low Energy (LE) wake instant wake capabilities as a Bluetooth 4.0 mouse (my Microsoft Designer Mouse wake-up time was instant without such perceivable latency).

However, between having a Bluetooth 3.0 mouse that can dual-boot, a Bluetooth 4.0 mouse that can only single-boot, and using a Logitech wireless mouse with a universal USB receiver (hence sacrificing one USB-C port on my MacBook pro), I'd go with the first option until a better solution comes out for a Bluetooth 4.0 mouse.

Lastly, since dual-booting has proven to work with this mouse, I suppose it will also work with other Bluetooth 3.0-type mice?

Just a thought

Last edited:
Here's a method to do the same thing with BLE devices, I'm sure it's possible to do it in the same order as the OP (getting the keys on macOS and replacing them in Windows), but given that with BLE devices the MAC address of the device changes on each pairing it's probably a mess to change it all over the Windows registry/system files, doing it the way I did is way easier.
https://github.com/digitalbirdo/BT-LinkkeySync/issues/12

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but has anyone gotten this to work lately? I've done it with the same Bluetooth adaptor, same keyboard and mouse with Sierra and Windows 10. I just tried to get it to work with Mojave and Windows 10 and it would not work. Has something changed?

working great for high sierra / windows 10.

the command to show the link key in mac is slightly different, but easy to find with google.

The file has been renamed in High Sierra for some reason.

It’s now:
Code:
/private/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetoothd.plist

Could not figure out what the change would be in HS. Glad I ended up taking the time to read every page of this thread to find your answer. Thank you!

Is this method still valid for Catalina too?

Has anyone had success with the following:

Pair apple magic keyboard and magic trackpad to hackintosh that uses a bluetooth dongle. I have done this and everything is OK here.

Plug bluetooth dongle into usb hub, then disable built-in bluetooth on macbook, and plug in USB hub. I have tried this and I still have to go through the bluetooth pairing process. From what I read, I could copy the link keys from the hackintosh to the macbook pro, then will I be able to switch the keyboard and trackpad between the two macs without having to go through the pairing process by simply moving the usb hub connection between the computers?

Edit: It's definitely possible at least with a dongle that has a broadcom chipset. I posted instructions on how to do it here:

Last edited:
A great deal depends on which particular BT chipset is in your dongle. Some work and others don't. I tried a dongle that I had lying around and could not get it working at all. Then I ordered the Fenvi FV-T919 Wifi + BT combo card and all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back