Register

Dual Booting windows 10 and high sierra on same hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
i7 6700 HQ
Graphics
GeForce GTX 960m
I want to dual boot my Dell laptop with Windows 10 and os x high Sierra on the same hdd without re installing Windows. I have a uefi bios. How do i do this?

Even though it's not recommended (recommended to install MacOS first before Windows), it is possible to do so (I have already tried it, 50GB or more disk space required for MacOS). Only do this if you really have no other choice.

But first check if:
  • your EFI partition >= 200MB
  • your HDD/SSD formatted as GPT
  • you have the MSR partition (delete it)
If it fits all the requirements, follow the guide here

Last edited:
Even though it's not recommended (recommended to install MacOS first before Windows), it is possible to do so (I have already tried it, 50GB or more disk space required for MacOS). Only do this if you really have no other choice.

But first check if:

Order of installation doesn't matter, as long as you partition your disk as required by macOS/OS X.

But first check if:
Thanks for the help but I am new to those kind of stuff and this was gonna be my first ever attempt to make a hackintosh. But it looks too complicated that I am probably giving up.

Order of installation doesn't matter, as long as you partition your disk as required by macOS/OS X.

Yes but in my experience, Windows always create an EFI partition of 100MB if installed first, which does not fit the requirement. I had to tinker with the partitioning scheme just to "expand" its size (which can break the OS if not done correctly, I experienced that the hard way).

Thanks for the help but I am new to those kind of stuff and this was gonna be my first ever attempt to make a hackintosh. But it looks too complicated that I am probably giving up.

You can read some topics such as this if you need further reference about dual/multi booting.

Yes but in my experience, Windows always create an EFI partition of 100MB if installed first, which does not fit the requirement. I had to tinker with the partitioning scheme just to "expand" its size (which can break the OS if not done correctly, I experienced that the hard way).
I found it's simplest to just create a new EFI partition that's larger, then copy everything over.

I found it's simplest to just create a new EFI partition that's larger, then copy everything over.

I guess it’s possible to do that but then the EFI partition won’t be at the beginning of the disk, which makes it more prone to conflicts due to partition changes (assuming that it’s in the middle of two OSes). I prefer to have the EFI partition at the start to prevent those conflicts (just my personal preference).

Last edited:
I guess it’s possible to do that but then the EFI partition won’t be at the beginning of the disk, which makes it more prone to conflicts due to partition changes (assuming that it’s in the middle of two OSes). I prefer to have the EFI partition at the start to prevent those conflicts (just my personal preference).
Hm I always stick it at the end if I need to move it, but I prefer it at the start yeah.

Yes but in my experience, Windows always create an EFI partition of 100MB if installed first,

Again: installation order does not matter.
But the method by which you partition your drive does.

You can partition with Disk Utility (from macOS installer), quit the macOS installer, then install Windows, then start the macOS installer to install macOS.
Order in that case: Windows installed first, macOS installed second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back