Contribute
Register

Dual Booting W8 and OS X with UEFI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would i go about doing this? I already have them both installed...

You would have to use Clover boot loader... You would have to re-install Win8.

Why do you want to do that?

How do you install Windows 8? If you install it normally, you have to convert your hard drive from Hybrid GPT/MBR to Pure GPT, and then reinstall Windows 8 using EFI installer in installation disk.

How do you install Windows 8? If you install it normally, you have to convert your hard drive from Hybrid GPT/MBR to Pure GPT, and then reinstall Windows 8 using EFI installer in installation disk.

I install Windows (7 or 8 doesn't matter) in legacy mode (non-UEFI) to a hybrid partition (both MBR and GPT tables exist). In this case Windows thinks it is installing non-UEFI to MBR which is perfectly happy with. OS X thinks it is installing to GPT (because it is).

Where you already have Win8 installed it will be legacy like the others said. You may have to reformat your whole HDD to have a pure GPT and not a hybrid MBR.
I used this tool to create a Windows UEFI install on a usb, then Windows is installed via UEFI.

Where you already have Win8 installed it will be legacy like the others said. You may have to reformat your whole HDD to have a pure GPT and not a hybrid MBR.
I used this tool to create a Windows UEFI install on a usb, then Windows is installed via UEFI.

This is getting confusing:

- OP asks how to install Windows in UEFI mode
- I respond to say "you'd have to use Clover bootloader -- are you sure you want to do that?"
- Someone else responds asking me "how I install Windows 8 [I presume w/o UEFI]" as if it is not possible to install Win8 non-UEFI
- You respond explaining "how to create a Windows UEFI USB" which puts one back into Clover as the only possible boot loader

Nice full circle there...

This is getting confusing:

- OP asks how to install Windows in UEFI mode
- I respond to say "you'd have to use Clover bootloader -- are you sure you want to do that?"
- Someone else responds asking me "how I install Windows 8 [I presume w/o UEFI]" as if it is not possible to install Win8 non-UEFI
- You respond explaining "how to create a Windows UEFI USB" which puts one back into Clover as the only possible boot loader

Nice full circle there...

Original question was "Dual Booting W8 and OS X with UEFI?".
I answered this and explained my procedure of how I installed Windows making sure it was an UEFI install.
You can install Windows UEFI without Clover, and use the Windows boot manager. Although you are right, he will not be able to boot OS X, as Chameleon does not support Windows UEFI, hence Clover will be the only option.

Original question was "Dual Booting W8 and OS X with UEFI?".
I answered this and explained my procedure of how I installed Windows making sure it was an UEFI install.

Next time quote the post you're replying to, so we know who you're talking to.

You can install Windows UEFI without Clover, and use the Windows boot manager. Although you are right, he will not be able to boot OS X, as Chameleon does not support Windows UEFI, hence Clover will be the only option.

Yes, as I stated in post #2.

There was no post with the question. It was in the title...

It was post #1 that you responded to (but without a quote, that is difficult to determine).
Generally, if you respond without a quote it is assumed your responding to the post just prior...

Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back