Graphics
HD 4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My HP ProBook 4540s is now known as my HackBook Pro running Mac OS X Mavericks. It's great! I have close to 100% hardware compatibility and I have a Dlink DWA-171 USB AC WIFI Adaptor for Wireless connectivity.

I have a generic dual booting question and I apologize if it has been asked already. I searched the forums but could not locate the solution...

I have a GUID PT 500GB HDD partitioned like this:

350GB Mac OS X MacOS+J
150GB NTFS Windows 7

I installed Mac OS X Mavericks first, then installed Windows 7.

I believe the problem is: My Windows 7 partition is still marked ACTIVE.

If I attempt to boot from the HDD, the Windows 7 partition is selected by default, and Windows boots.

How do I restore my Mac OS X partition to become active so I can boot into Mac OS X by default?

If I boot from the USB UniBeast 3.0.1 Stick, I am able to select Mac OS X or Windows partitions, and this is what I have been doing for the time being.

Thanks very much

In Windows, use diskpart to active your os x partition, then use unibeast to boot to os x, run PBI again and select Chameleon only.

My HP ProBook 4540s is now known as my HackBook Pro running Mac OS X Mavericks. It's great! I have close to 100% hardware compatibility and I have a Dlink DWA-171 USB AC WIFI Adaptor for Wireless connectivity.

I have a generic dual booting question and I apologize if it has been asked already. I searched the forums but could not locate the solution...

I have a GUID PT 500GB HDD partitioned like this:

350GB Mac OS X MacOS+J
150GB NTFS Windows 7

I installed Mac OS X Mavericks first, then installed Windows 7.

I believe the problem is: My Windows 7 partition is still marked ACTIVE.

That is the correct configuration.

If I attempt to boot from the HDD, the Windows 7 partition is selected by default, and Windows boots.

Are you seeing the bootloader screen? If so, hit a key (note that the screen says "hit any key") and you should be able to select a different partition to boot.

How do I restore my Mac OS X partition to become active so I can boot into Mac OS X by default?

The default partition to boot in the Chimera/Chamelon bootloader has nothing to do with the active partition.

If I boot from the USB UniBeast 3.0.1 Stick, I am able to select Mac OS X or Windows partitions, and this is what I have been doing for the time being.

The USB has Instant Menu set. You can use Chameleon Wizard to change your bootloader options to get the same effect on your HDD-based bootloader.

- - - Updated - - -

In Windows, use diskpart to active your os x partition, then use unibeast to boot to os x, run PBI again and select Chameleon only.

Not a good idea. In a dual-boot Windows/OS X system, Windows should remain the active partition.

Are you seeing the bootloader screen? If so, hit a key (note that the screen says "hit any key") and you should be able to select a different partition to boot.

The USB has Instant Menu set. You can use Chameleon Wizard to change your bootloader options to get the same effect on your HDD-based bootloader.

I must press F9 on the HP Logo Screen during the POST process after a power on or restart.

Then, I select my USB Stick, and I am able to boot to a black screen with a 2 Mac OS X icons (actually they look like waves): the Mac OS X USB volume, and my Mac OS X HDD Volume and 1 Windows Icon for the Windows 7 NTFS partition.

if I boot without the USB stick plugged in, I am taken to the Windows boot loader. A grey bordered screen where Windows 7 is listed as the selection.

How do I access the Chameleon Wizard to make the boot loader changes? sorry for my noobness

I must press F9 on the HP Logo Screen during the POST process after a power on or restart.

Then, I select my USB Stick, and I am able to boot to a black screen with a 2 Mac OS X icons (actually they look like waves): the Mac OS X USB volume, and my Mac OS X HDD Volume and 1 Windows Icon for the Windows 7 NTFS partition.

if I boot without the USB stick plugged in, I am taken to the Windows boot loader. A grey bordered screen where Windows 7 is listed as the selection.

How do I access the Chameleon Wizard to make the boot loader changes? sorry for my noobness

If you installed Windows after OS X on the same hard drive, then you probably need to reinstall Chimera/Chameleon.

This same thing happened to me once, and all I had to do was reinstall Chimera to the hard drive.

-bth

Did you re-install Chameleon after installing Windows? If you didn't, you need to... The Windows installer overwrites your Chameleon boot record.

Did you re-install Chameleon after installing Windows? If you didn't, you need to... The Windows installer overwrites your Chameleon boot record.

Yes, that is what I thought. In order to run Chameleon to fix this, is it simply a matter of running HP ProBook installer 6.1.10 and select Chameleon: r2266 and rebooting?

EDIT: YUP. answered my own question.

Big Ups to all the moderators and folks helping out on this project.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back