Graphics
RTX 570
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi. Im wanting to install Linux Ubuntu to use some TV capturing software. Im currently dual booting with OS X and Windows 7. Would anyone have any ideas? this is the first time that im wanting to do this. I am booting in UEFI.

Thanks

Jack.

I was following that guide. Nice guide btw :) my problem is that I'm trying to install it on a 2nd hard drive caddy on my Probook and because I have 4 other partitions on the drive Linux isn't liking it one bit. So I may have to move Mavericks from the SSD and put it on the 2nd hard drive caddy. Use Mavericks partition for Linux.
Post diskutil list screenshot with descriptions of each partition and note where you are trying to install Linux

Post diskutil list screenshot with descriptions of each partition and note where you are trying to install Linux

Here are the screen prints for you. I formatted the drive which i wanted linux on to NTFS in Windows 7 Then i go to erase it in Linux it erases the drive but it refuses to install and this is on the 2nd hard drive caddy. Note this is my partners hack book if you're wondering why it says Suzannes Macbook Pro. We share it.
Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 20.28.49.png

Screen Shot 2016-07-22 at 20.29.17.png

Since it is on a drive with OS X, suggest you install it UEFI mode.
Boot OS X, launch disk utility, delete the Linux partition. Extend the OS X partition to include the free space.
Reboot to refresh everything and make sure OS X now has the full drive space recognized as formatted GPT+.
Launch DU again, shrink the OS X partition to leave the amount of free space you want for Linux.
Boot the Linux installer and choose "Something Else" as you want to set up your swap/root/home partitions manually.
When you get to the end and it wants to know where to install the bootloader select the EFI partition.

Since it is on a drive with OS X, suggest you install it UEFI mode.
Boot OS X, launch disk utility, delete the Linux partition. Extend the OS X partition to include the free space.
Reboot to refresh everything and make sure OS X now has the full drive space recognized as formatted GPT+.
Launch DU again, shrink the OS X partition to leave the amount of free space you want for Linux.
Boot the Linux installer and choose "Something Else" as you want to set up your swap/root/home partitions manually.
When you get to the end and it wants to know where to install the bootloader select the EFI partition.

I haven't installed Mavericks on that Drive yet. Bot got 10.11 on my main SSD. Ill use 10.11 to create the drive thanks ill give it a try.

I haven't installed Mavericks on that Drive yet. Bot got 10.11 on my main SSD. Ill use 10.11 to create the drive thanks ill give it a try.

Forgot to say. I used a app called Unetboot in OS X to create the Ubuntu boot stick will i have to make any additional changes to the pen drive to boot in UEFI?

Forgot to say. I used a app called Unetboot in OS X to create the Ubuntu boot stick will i have to make any additional changes to the pen drive to boot in UEFI?
That I do not know - I used Rufus to create the UEFI Live USB I used to install Ubuntu for the guide I wrote.

That I do not know - I used Rufus to create the UEFI Live USB I used to install Ubuntu for the guide I wrote.

Ill give Rufus ago. Ive still got the Ubuntu iso on the NAS. Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back