Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
CPU
Intel i7
Graphics
Radeon 6870
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I would like to update my hackintosh to bring it up to speed and add the new features of el Capitan. My current build is running snow leopard and is comprised of the following:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Intel Core i7-2600K
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM

I have stayed with this system for years because I use it as a video editing and sound editing workstation. I do not want to lose my protools installation and all my plugins. The current version will not allow me to use any of my RTAS plugs. Seeing as some of these are necessary to my workflow, I can't lose them. At the same time, I'm losing compatibility with snow leopard by the day with new products that I would like or old software updating itself automatically out of my OS (looking at you steam).

Is it possible for me to build a new build with the following to instal the latest OS and also have a second boot drive that can run my current snow leopard build off of new hardware comprised of the following?
GA-Z170X-UD5
Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB

I know that 10.11 will have no issue running on this new hardware as its listed here, but I was wondering if 10.6 will also be able to run on this hardware. I would like to be able to boot into snow leopard for my protools work and jump to 10.11 for all my other computing.

thoughts?
thanks ya'll

I would like to update my hackintosh to bring it up to speed and add the new features of el Capitan. My current build is running snow leopard and is comprised of the following:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
Intel Core i7-2600K
GIGABYTE ATI Radeon HD6870
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM

I have stayed with this system for years because I use it as a video editing and sound editing workstation. I do not want to lose my protools installation and all my plugins. The current version will not allow me to use any of my RTAS plugs. Seeing as some of these are necessary to my workflow, I can't lose them. At the same time, I'm losing compatibility with snow leopard by the day with new products that I would like or old software updating itself automatically out of my OS (looking at you steam).

Is it possible for me to build a new build with the following to instal the latest OS and also have a second boot drive that can run my current snow leopard build off of new hardware comprised of the following?
GA-Z170X-UD5
Intel Boxed Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB
Ballistix Sport LT 32GB

I know that 10.11 will have no issue running on this new hardware as its listed here, but I was wondering if 10.6 will also be able to run on this hardware. I would like to be able to boot into snow leopard for my protools work and jump to 10.11 for all my other computing.

thoughts?
thanks ya'll

The only way to keep using Snow Leopard is to keep the old Sandy Bridge Z68 system going. Skylake hardware will not be able to run Snow Leopard.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/b...versions-of-os-x-using-older-chipsets.141225/

I would suggest a Kingwin KF-251-BK two 2.5" trayless hotswap bay or a Kingwin KF-253-BK one 2.5" + 1 3.5" trayless hotswap bay installed in an empty ODD slot in the case fron if you have one.
This allows you to remove the SL drive, insert El Capitan drive and boot without any dual boot problems. When you want to boot SL, just remove the El Cap drive, insert the SL drive and boot it. This is what I have been doing for the last year or so. It eliminates any cross-OS problems totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back