Graphics
GTX 950M
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This title may be confusing but all I would like to know is the following: Is there a way to install Windows from a disk image without wiping El Capitan, knowing that I just have 1 hard drive inside my computer.
I previously was running Windows on my pc and decided to try to dual boot El Capitan with it. I found out that I had to wipe my disk to install Mac OS X so I created an image of Windows, wiped my disk, and I now have a partition (200gb) for OS X and 800gb left with nothing. Can I restore my backup to this partition?

This title may be confusing but all I would like to know is the following: Is there a way to install Windows from a disk image without wiping El Capitan, knowing that I just have 1 hard drive inside my computer.
I previously was running Windows on my pc and decided to try to dual boot El Capitan with it. I found out that I had to wipe my disk to install Mac OS X so I created an image of Windows, wiped my disk, and I now have a partition (200gb) for OS X and 800gb left with nothing. Can I restore my backup to this partition?

Restoring from a disk image will put the drive right back as it was when you made the image.

Your best bet is an inexpensive 120GB SSD or 2.5" notebook drive to clone the OS X on before you restore your Windows image.

Ok so ill just erase my hard drive since I didn't have anything hard to reinstall on it. Do you know if I could shrink my windows partition once I reinstalled, and then make a new partition and format it as Mac OS X extended (journaled) and reinstall El Capitan from there?

Ok so ill just erase my hard drive since I didn't have anything hard to reinstall on it. Do you know if I could shrink my windows partition once I reinstalled, and then make a new partition and format it as Mac OS X extended (journaled) and reinstall El Capitan from there?

Only if your Windows is installed GPT (UEFI mode). If it is not, google for the procedure to convert the drive to GPT. Note this may mess up your Windows installation, but you still have the image to restore if that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back