CPU
i3 2120
Graphics
GT610
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
I have a hackintosh with FreeBSD and Yosemite installations on separate disks. They both boot just fine on their own but I've gotten tired of having to always select boot disk from the BIOS screen. So, I was wondering how to set up chain loading in Chimera. I actually quite prefer chimera for cosmetic reasons but I've not had any luck online finding out how to set up chain loading in chimera.

Is this even possible to do? Can anybody point me to a tutorial or some official documentation?

As with any Unix kernel distro, in order to boot it with Chimera/Chameleon boot loaders you must install the grub boot loader to the root ( / ) of the Unix/Linux installation or, at time of installation, create a /boot folder and install the boot loader there. This allows Chimera to see it.
This is sometimes more effort that it is worth if you did not set it up this way at the original install.
I would suggest Clover, but your board is socket 775 and has no UEFI capability, correct?
You might try a Clover Legacy boot usb test installation and see if Clover can boot your FreeBSD.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/bootloaders/127134-test-drive-how-create-clover-usb.html

My apologies, for not updating my signature. I'm actually running a gigabyte board now (exact model details escape me ATM) with a sandy bridge i3 and 16GB RAM. I'm also pretty sure it has UEFI, or at least that's what is advertised on the boot screen. I'm not at my desk right now so I'll have to update my details later.

So switching to GRUB should magically make it work? After I finish up my current project, I might nuke that disk and install PCBSD. It uses GRUB by default as well as boot environments (gotta love ZFS). Thanks for the info.

My apologies, for not updating my signature. I'm actually running a gigabyte board now (exact model details escape me ATM) with a sandy bridge i3 and 16GB RAM. I'm also pretty sure it has UEFI, or at least that's what is advertised on the boot screen. I'm not at my desk right now so I'll have to update my details later.

So switching to GRUB should magically make it work? After I finish up my current project, I might nuke that disk and install PCBSD. It uses GRUB by default as well as boot environments (gotta love ZFS). Thanks for the info.

What is your FreeBSD using if not Grub2 as a boot loader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back