Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte H81M-S2H
CPU
Intel i5 4460 Quad Core
Graphics
Radeon R9 280
Hi,

How would I go about dual booting on two separate HDDs but with an extra partition on one HD to cater for my Mac files.

My situation is that I have an 128GB SSD and a 2TB SSHD.

I want to dual boot both Mac OS and Windows however, on the SSD I want Mac OS Sierra and on the SSHD I want 1TB for Windows and 1TB for all my Mac files.

The OS will both be on two separate HDDs. I just want minimum 1TB on the 2TB SSHD for my Mac files.

How do I go about this?

Shall I:
1. Install Mac OS on SSD
2. Install Windows on the SSHD
3. Thereafter add a partition to the SSHD for Mac OS files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

How do I go about this?

Shall I:
1. Install Mac OS on SSD
2. Install Windows on the SSHD
3. Thereafter add a partition to the SSHD for Mac OS files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Yes.
Either partition the SSHD with 2 partitions to begin with, or shrink the Windows installation and create the partition with the Windows disk management tool (or your favorite disk management tool) and format it for Mac OS with Mac disk utility

Yes.
Either partition the SSHD with 2 partitions to begin with, or shrink the Windows installation and create the partition with the Windows disk management tool (or your favorite disk management tool) and format it for Mac OS with Mac disk utility

I've managed to do as you mentioned.

I now have 1TB unallocated space on my SSHD.

I can't seem to add a partition from Disk Utility to utilise that unallocated space. Everything is just greyed out.

Is there any chance I can format the unallocated space to Mac OS Extended Journaled from within Windows? (I can see the unallocated space in Disk Management)

I've managed to do as you mentioned.

I now have 1TB unallocated space on my SSHD.

I can't seem to add a partition from Disk Utility to utilise that unallocated space. Everything is just greyed out.

Is there any chance I can format the unallocated space to Mac OS Extended Journaled from within Windows? (I can see the unallocated space in Disk Management)
launch Windows disk management, select the free space, click Action->All Tasks->Create New Simple Volume and format it NTFS
Shutdown and boot Mac OS installer, launch Disk Utility, select partition for Mac OS, Erase it Mac OS E+J. You should now have no problems with using this space for Mac OS files. Windows will not even see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back