Contribute
Register

Dual boot windows 7 / Lion 10.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot, but i have to format the whole hard drive? Because i have already Partitioned it in order to install Mac OS (Maybe i can change my blank partition type with Acronis?)

EDIT: Nevermind, it's impossible, a hard-drive can't be composed by MBR and GPT partitions.

Thanks for everything, it's now so less confused in my head :)
I'll take time to install it.

Up!
I need to know something: when i'll try to re-install windows7 on my hard-drive, can i chose to format my hard-drive with a GPT partition table?
The thing is that i can't format my hard-drive into GPT because i've got only one hard-drive (i can't delete the boot). Hope you understood what i mean.

When you follow the guide I linked to, the OS X disk utility creates a hybrid GPT/MBR partition for the Win7 partition. When you select the partition in the Win7 installer, click on advanced button and format the partition NTFS and it will install. Then install 10.6.x, update to 10.6.7, download 10.7.2 (or use the retail USB drive from the Apple store) and use the xMove+MultiBest method to install Lion.

I understood this point, but the fact is that actually im running windows 7, so i can't use the OS X disk utility!
So i tried to do this with Acronis but it seems to be impossible, it tells that its impossible to clean up disks with boot volume. So bad :(

I am unfamiliar with your Alienware main board - does it use an old fashioned BIOS or does it have the new UEFI?
Also, what version of Win7 are you using? 32-bit or 64-bit?

IF you have UEFI and IF you have 64-bit Win7 there is a way to convert the MBR of your hard drive to GPT file system and still be able to boot Win7 natively from a gpt disc and also install OS X on it.

If you do not have both of the above and still want to install both OS X and Win7 on the same drive, then you have no other choice than to reformat the hard drive GUID and make the second or third partition FAT32 (which creates a hybrid MBR so Win7 will install on it) in OS X disk utility and then later format it NTFS with the Win7 installer.

@Going Bald

Hi there, refered to your guide

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -snow.html

using MultiBeast 3.9.1: Snow Leopard Edition

using update helper for 2600 CPU, updated to 10.68, ran 3.9.1 Multibeast post install

all this on virtual box, carbon copied the install to the usb plugged hdd, that contains

windows 7 install from guide above.

using

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... -lion.html

for update

xmove installed Lion within virutal box , ran MultiBeast 4.0.3: Lion Edition

The Ultimate Post-Installation Utility. 10.7.x only. for easy beast and chimera

again cloned to a partition on the W7 / 1068 Snowleopard drive

within virtual box , everything working fine

trying to boot up the real HDD fails, as well by using chimera 4.0.3 on cd to boot up

the above mentioned drive with snow 1068 / W7 / Lion 10.7

any ideas

cheeers

@GOING BALD

first error tried to boot LION with Iboot
----->iBoot Boot CD for Retail DVD - 10.6.x only

within bootoptions starting up the windows 7 Pc second HDD containing W7 and xmoved
Installation being copied with Carbon Clone...

failed to boot into Lion

any hint ?

cheerios

@Luciole
Remembered another option for you, which is probably the one you want, since you already have Win7 installed. Use the Win7 disc manager to create a partition on your HD.

Get another HD and install OS X 10.6.x with iBoot+MultiBeast, update to 10.6.7 at least, then use xMove to install 10.7.2.

Clone the 10.7.2 to the partition on your Win7 HD.

To avoid problems with Win7, use http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... -from.html method to install Chimera files, except in step 8, use fdisk440 instead of fdisk.

No guarantees, but some have had success with this method of getting OS X on the same drive as Windows. One side effect of this method is that you can't click on the Apple -> update in the command bar and automatic updates won't work, and you have to download updates/combo updates and install manually.

@hecmac

Boot Lion with rBoot, and use the MultiBeast 4.x for Lion to install Chimera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back