Contribute
Register

dual boot w/Opencore 0.5.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had issues when I was setting up my OC install. One of them was the way I defined some nvarm variables (I was overriding (i.e. no reasons, I had these settings due bad practice of copy and paste) the firmware features and features mask. After that, everything works like a charm.

Check my EFI folder (NOTE: ensure to override the PlatformInfo section).

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 173
I had issues when I was setting up my OC install. One of them was the way I defined some nvarm variables (I was overriding (i.e. no reasons, I had these settings due bad practice of copy and paste) the firmware features and features mask. After that, everything works like a charm.

Check my EFI folder (NOTE: ensure to override the PlatformInfo section).

I checked your config.plist and mine. Slight differences but it could be because mine is Skylake based and your is not.

I managed to get windows to boot by Misc -> Boot -> Hideself = No and
Misc -> BlessOverride -> \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi. No idea why it works but it works even though the guide: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Desktop-Guide/post-install/multiboot/bootcamp.html says you need to turn on the Hideself.

Also another thing i dont know why when i boot into windows and use the intel driver & support assistant to check for drivers, it shows as the image below: Acidanthera Macmini8,1?

So now my Intel NUC is like an actual Macmini i think?

Just FYI i installed the bootcamp drivers.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Also another thing i dont know why when i boot into windows and use the intel driver & support assistant to check for drivers, it shows as the image below: Acidanthera Macmini8,1?

So now my Intel NUC is like an actual Macmini i think?

Just FYI i installed the bootcamp drivers.

View attachment 472865

That is because OC spoof all these information (you can select the option to SpoofVendor, and specify the value you want, for example: Apple Inc.), even the device information (pretty cool huh?), but that has a 'bad side' as I said before: the Device Information (managed by SSDT and/or configuration); so is important to be carefully with these settings.
For example, USBMap tool (even Hackintool) generates dsl/asm and Kext files to be used with Clover or OC, if you use the ASM (for ACPI section) you'll literally hide/remap your ports for Windows too or may generate 'unknown devices' in Windows.

To check if all drivers are ok or try to update your computer through Windows, better boot using the BIOS option (if is possible) instead OC.

That is because OC spoof all these information (you can select the option to SpoofVendor, and specify the value you want, for example: Apple Inc.), even the device information (pretty cool huh?), but that has a 'bad side' as I said before: the Device Information (managed by SSDT and/or configuration); so is important to be carefully with these settings.
For example, USBMap tool (even Hackintool) generates dsl/asm and Kext files to be used with Clover or OC, if you use the ASM (for ACPI section) you'll literally hide/remap your ports for Windows too or may generate 'unknown devices' in Windows.

To check if all drivers are ok or try to update your computer through Windows, better boot using the BIOS option (if is possible) instead OC.

Hi Thank you.

Windows update looks ok. I have a single SSD so there won't be an option to use BIOS to select which drive to boot. I have Windows & mac OS X on a single SSD.

I noticed that whenever i boot to windows, the system becomes sluggish and will have to wait for a few minutes before i can even click anything.

I believe with opencore, windows is running is a virtual environment?

Another thing, i can't even open Device Manager in Windows. The UAC says "the app has been blocked by the Admin"that not permitted. All this happened after installing OC.

I noticed that whenever i boot to windows, the system becomes sluggish and will have to wait for a few minutes before i can even click anything.

I believe with opencore, windows is running is a virtual environment?

Another thing, i can't even open Device Manager in Windows. The UAC says "the app has been blocked by the Admin"that not permitted. All this happened after installing OC.

No, there is no virtual environment. Maybe the ACPI patches and maybe SMBIOS info is interfering. Try with this OC fork: https://github.com/n-d-k/OpenCorePkg, it has additional features, for example, to avoid ACPI patches for non Mac OSes.

UPDATE: check the latest version of OcBinaryData (0.5.9), there is a well-known-new efi driver (PartitionDxe) which maybe helps for bootcamp with OS in same partition.

Last edited:
Your website says three separate SSDs. But how to dualboot in a single SSD? I was able to dualboot & tripleboot in clover but when i transitioned to OC i was never able to dualboot.

Hi, I use the website's method for my laptop (single SSD) adding a W10 entry on the picker
It works fine for single SSD dual booting W10/macOS
I am with OC 0.5.9

Capture d’écran 2020-06-07 à 12.18.33.png

Mind a blank space before the W10 bootloader path: /\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

Hi can you explain what is the bad side of using SpoofVendor as Apple Inc.? Does it affects hackintosh by any chance?

Hi can you explain what is the bad side of using SpoofVendor as Apple Inc.? Does it affects hackintosh by any chance?

Hi, I was using this option for a while and I didn’t have any issue. Note that Clover spoofs the vendor as Apple Inc. by default and everything works fine (more like a “vanilla” setup).

OC give us a way to change this config for “just in case”, which is good to have.

Regards!

Hi, I was using this option for a while and I didn’t have any issue. Note that Clover spoofs the vendor as Apple Inc. by default and everything works fine (more like a “vanilla” setup).

OC give us a way to change this config for “just in case”, which is good to have.

Regards!
Thank you very much. Appreciated.

Hi guys,
any new insights related to multiboot ?
I have been fighting with multiboot from OC (between macOS 11.1 and Windows 10) for a couple of days now....
Big Sur on my hack is working fine/perfect (on a Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro & 5700XT).
I tried:
  • had Windows clean installed on a separate SSD (M.2 NVMe); booting via OC-picker (or boot priority in BIOS) always results in error code "0x0000001" or stop code "ACPI_BIOS_ERROR"
    (I have to admit: My process was not exactly as described in "vanilla setup guide" - I will give it another try)

• then I followed the steps described by "dorintia" (https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/multiboot/bootstrap.html) - with the result, that I could switch (using Startup Disk), boot into Windows worked with no errors. But I never could switch back to macOS (Installed Boot Camp utility on Windows, selecting macOS as Startup Disk didn't work - always boots into Windows)
    --> the only way out of this (and boot macOS again) is to reset CMOS of my motherboard
My questions:
  • Advise on: Go with "vanilla guide" or Boot Camp ?
  • OpenCore parameter or settings that prevent Windows to smear something into NVRAM ?
    What are the most critical OC parameter to secure OC/macOS NVRAM entries ?
    YES: Windows modifies entries - on one of the restarts I had the hostname Windows gave my PC (DESKTOP-xxx) as the hostname in macOS.....
I hope my perception to have a flawless dual-boot between macOs and Windows using OC is not an illusion....

Thanks for your advise!
regards
Hausi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back