1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I have the following set up:

SSD drive with Yosemite
SSD drive with Windows 8 (with 2 partitions one a system partition and the other one Win8 bootable)
HD for general data

This was done with Uni/multibeast and using Chimera for dual boot.

Usually I'd see 4 options in the boot menu: Yosemite, Windows 8 bootable, Windows 8 system partition (I guess this was used for my system restore points) and Data Drive. Obviously, I could only boot by choosing either Yosemite or Windows 8 bootable.

Everything was running great, but I wanted to reinstall Windows 8. I created a bootable USB with Windows and in the reinstall process I deleted the 2 partitions in the Windows SSD and formatted it, then reinstalled Windows correctly.

This somehow has caused some problems. Now in Chimera I only see 3 options

Yosemite
Windows 8
Data

Windows 8 is not bootable and looks like it's the Windows system partition
Data somehow is now bootable and I can boot my clean windows 8 installation from there

This is also causing that when I boot in Windows 8, I cannot access my data drive (it's not displayed in My PC). This is probably my main issue, as I don't want to lose that data.

It looks like whatever was governing the structure of the drives is somehow out of sync.

Is there anything I could do to get everything back to sync? Or can someone point me to the correct way of doing the reinstall with my rig? I wouldn't mind reformatting/reinstalling windows, as I just did the clean install.

Hi,

I have the following set up:

SSD drive with Yosemite
SSD drive with Windows 8 (with 2 partitions one a system partition and the other one Win8 bootable)
HD for general data

This was done with Uni/multibeast and using Chimera for dual boot.

Usually I'd see 4 options in the boot menu: Yosemite, Windows 8 bootable, Windows 8 system partition (I guess this was used for my system restore points) and Data Drive. Obviously, I could only boot by choosing either Yosemite or Windows 8 bootable.

Everything was running great, but I wanted to reinstall Windows 8. I created a bootable USB with Windows and in the reinstall process I deleted the 2 partitions in the Windows SSD and formatted it, then reinstalled Windows correctly.

This somehow has caused some problems. Now in Chimera I only see 3 options

Yosemite
Windows 8
Data

Windows 8 is not bootable and looks like it's the Windows system partition
Data somehow is now bootable and I can boot my clean windows 8 installation from there

This is also causing that when I boot in Windows 8, I cannot access my data drive (it's not displayed in My PC). This is probably my main issue, as I don't want to lose that data.

It looks like whatever was governing the structure of the drives is somehow out of sync.

Is there anything I could do to get everything back to sync? Or can someone point me to the correct way of doing the reinstall with my rig? I wouldn't mind reformatting/reinstalling windows, as I just did the clean install.
you should check out this thread for proper installing methods only difference is the names of the OS it works for win8 and Yosemite
http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back