Contribute
Register

Dual boot OS X and Arch Linux with Clover?

Motherboard
H81M-D
CPU
G3260
Graphics
GT710
Mac
Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@hackNneddy thank you for your guide. Im tryng to achieve a triple boot.

I had sierra, windows10, and ubuntu17.04 working on my single hard disk gpt uefi clover boot.

I would like to install arch over ubuntu but i need to install it fast, so i opted to just install manjaro.

Before I saw your guide, this is what I did to install manjaro: I formatted the ubuntu partition and flagged it as root partition in manjaro installation. I remembered NOT choosing boot partition on the root of my hard disk because I was afraid I was going to mess up the efi partition. The installer warned me that the manjaro might not boot given the choices I had but I chose to continue anyway.

True enough, manjaro did not show up in clover. Though I think Its because I did not have proper edits on my config.plist yet.

I already copied the entire boot folder of manjaro and placed it accordingly inside the efi partition. The only thing left to do was to bind them.

Questions:

1. If i redo my installation of manjaro, what option do I have to select when choosing where to install the bootloader? If it offers to install it at the root hd partiton (/dev/sda) should I choose that?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5
CPU
i7-8086K
Graphics
UHD 630 / RX580
Mac
MacBook Pro
How I was able to boot Manjaro from Clover on a Hackintosh (UEFI)

(Just thought I'd post the contents of my pdf in the previous post so that it's easier to read here...)

1. Install Manjaro to gpt disk by booting from USB installer with UEFI.
2. Mount efi partition from Hackintosh HD /esp on Manjaro HD
3. Copy all files from /boot on Manjaro to another location, unmount current efi partition and delete contents of /boot .
4. Create a “Manjaro” folder within the “EFI” folder under /esp (This is the efi partition Hackintosh HD). Bind the “Manjaro” folder in /esp/EFI/ to /boot
5. Copy back the contents of /boot from the copy create in step 3.
6. edit fstab to make the above mount and bind permanent.
7. Edit the Clover config.plist to boot Manjaro (I used the Clover Configurator under OS X, but you could also just edit config.plist)
8. See if it all works, and then delete the efi partition on the Manjaro HD that the Manjaro installer created.
9. Enjoy booting MacOS and Manjaro from Clover (and maybe Windows 10 too as I have.)
Thanks for the great guide!

Although it's not quite working with me. I've got High Sierra installed and booting with Clover. I'm trying to install Manjaro Linux on another partition of the same HDD.

Question: did you make any kind of special settings while manual partitioning in the Manjaro GUI installer? I've partitioned my HDD like so:

/dev/sda1: "EFI System Partition" - 200MB - created by OSX install
/dev/sda2: "OSX Insall" - 100GB
/dev/sda3: "Recovery HD" - 650MB - created by OSX install
/dev/sda4: "Linux Install" - 900GB - EXT4 Linux install

Now, when manually partitioning, I added "root" flag and mount point "/" to sda4. The part I'm not sure about is having to set mount point /boot/efi on my sda1. Do I need to do this? When doing so, when I finish the install, I simply CANNOT get to Clover in any way, regardless of boot order I choose in Bios. What did you do for partitioning in that matter?

If anyone can clarify?

Much thanks!! Pat

Motherboard
ASUS Prime Z390-A
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
MSI Radeon RX 580
I followed your guide, but on restart I get the following

error: file `/boot/grub/x86_64-efi/normal.mod' not found.
Entering rescue mode...