Contribute
Register

Dual boot on two hard drives, can my pc do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3
CPU
Intel i7-4790K 4.00GHz
Graphics
Palit GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6GB
I am running the setup in my signature with 3 different hard drives.
Running Windows 7 on one SSD, having storage on another and on the third I wish to install OSX.

Now to the question.
Will I be able to Dual boot from this setup?

Did read about being careful on what loader I choose (UEFI or Legacy) but I am not sure how to choose here when starting from a fresh hard drive. And also that I unplug the windows based hard drive during installation.

I have a ton of installed stuff on my Windows drive and just wanted to make sure I don't "brick" or brake anything.

Doesn't say anything in msinfo32 about "BIOS Mode" either.
Thanks a lot for this community.

Figured out by looking at the two drives that I am using it is running BIOS (Legacy).

Is my setup ok and what guide should I follow for dual booting from different drive?

I am running the setup in my signature with 3 different hard drives.
Running Windows 7 on one SSD, having storage on another and on the third I wish to install OSX.

Now to the question.
Will I be able to Dual boot from this setup?

Did read about being careful on what loader I choose (UEFI or Legacy) but I am not sure how to choose here when starting from a fresh hard drive. And also that I unplug the windows based hard drive during installation.

I have a ton of installed stuff on my Windows drive and just wanted to make sure I don't "brick" or brake anything.

Doesn't say anything in msinfo32 about "BIOS Mode" either.
Thanks a lot for this community.

If you are going to install MacOS on the third hard drive, then you should be able to dual boot Windows 7 and MacOS once the MacOS installation is completed. But be sure to disconnect the Windows hard drives before installing MacOS.

Since you have a UEFI system, you should choose UEFI mode when creating the Unibeast USB stick.

If you are going to install MacOS on the third hard drive, then you should be able to dual boot Windows 7 and MacOS once the MacOS installation is completed. But be sure to disconnect the Windows hard drives before installing MacOS.

Since you have a UEFI system, you should choose UEFI mode when creating the Unibeast USB stick.

Thanks for the reply.
The other two drives I have checked it says BIOS in the disk management for W7.
This means that it is Legacy right?

Attachments

• drives.JPG
    drives.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 45
Thanks for the reply.
The other two drives I have checked it says BIOS in the disk management for W7.
This means that it is Legacy right?

You mean "Basic"? I can't see "BIOS" anywhere.

It has no relation to Windows booting in UEFI or Legacy mode. Although from the size of your disks I would guess that your drives were formatted using the MBR partition format and therefore Windows 7 boots in Legacy mode.

Right click on "Disk 0" in your picture, and choose Properties. On the window that show up, click the Volumes tab. In "Partition Style", "Master Boot Record (MBR)" = Legacy, "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" = UEFI.

Last edited:
Your mean "Basic"? I can't see "BIOS" anywhere.

It has no relation to Windows booting in UEFI or Legacy mode. Although from the size of your disks I would guess that your drives were formatted using the MBR partition format and therefore Windows 7 boots in Legacy mode.

Right click on "Disk 0" in your picture, and choose Properties. On the window that show up, click the Volumes tab. In "Partition Style", "Master Boot Record (MBR)" = Legacy, "GUID Partition Table (GPT)" = UEFI.

Yeah, that is correct that it says MBR.

So I should follow the regular guide for installing in Legacy mode then?

Is this guide correct to follow?
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

Seems that I will be running OSX Sierra as I don't get a hold of El Capitan anymore.
Any trouble with this and my pc-setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back