Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everybody,

I already have a custom built PC that runs windows 7, the windows OS runs off a SSD.

Now could I buy a new SSD or HHD, connect it to my PC (running Windows) and install a hackintosh OS on it?

Or will I have to wipe my entire hard drive and re install everything?

Also if someone could shed some light on how any of these two possibility could be done I would highly appreciate it.

If they are needed, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Graphics card: AMD Radeon 7870
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (1x8GB) Red
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB
HDD: Hitachi 1TB

any information is highly appresheated.

All the best! :D

Hi everybody,

I already have a custom built PC that runs windows 7, the windows OS runs off a SSD.

Now could I buy a new SSD or HHD, connect it to my PC (running Windows) and install a hackintosh OS on it?

Or will I have to wipe my entire hard drive and re install everything?

Also if someone could shed some light on how any of these two possibility could be done I would highly appreciate it.

If they are needed, here are my specs:

Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Graphics card: AMD Radeon 7870
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (1x8GB) Red
SSD: Samsung 840 Series 120GB
HDD: Hitachi 1TB

any information is highly appresheated.

All the best! :D

Your parts are compatible. Do you have access to a "real" Macintosh (a friend or family member)? If so, you should be able to use it to log in to the Apple App Store, purchase Mountain Lion, and create a Unibeast USB installer which you can use to install OS X on your system, following the 10.8 Installation Guide. If not, you will need to purchase a retail Snow Leopard install DVD from Apple and temporarily install it following the 10.6 Installation Guide, then purchase Mountain Lion, create your Unibeast installer and proceed from there to install Mountain Lion. All this can be done on a second SSD/HDD without disturbing your Windows 7 installation, and you'll end up with a dual boot system.

There are some "gotchas" to look out for. Asus motherboards require a patched BIOS to get properly working SpeedStep and sleep without kernel panics (see http://www.tonymacx86.com/dsdt/43486-asus-1155-patched-bios-repository.html for more information). You WILL have to upgrade to Mountain Lion to successfully run OS X on your system; neither Ivy Bridge nor your video card are supported in Snow Leopard.

My advice is to do lots and lots of research on this site before you proceed. Search for your motherboard and graphics card and you'll find lots of helpful guides and information. There are literally dozens of guides on setting up a dual (or triple or quadruple) boot system.

Good luck and have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back