Zotac 9800GT 1GB Synergy Edition
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi

I am unable to swap between Windows and Lion 10.7.2 unless I completley shutdown my PC and turn off power at the rear. I have recently rebuilt my entire rig and sure that I didnt have to do this before.

I have Windows on a SSD, 1 regualr SATA HDD for data and a third separate HDD for Lion. GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard.

From a cold start Windows will boot. I can then restart my PC and change the primary boot device to Lion - this will then boot up fine with everything working (except sleep, but I am ingnoring this by just disabling the OS from sleeping in power settings!).

If I restart Lion I am unable to change the primary device at POST and I get a boot error - nothing loads. Same if I shut down and then turn the PC back on. If I shutdown Lion and then flick the power switch on the back of the desktop and turn it back on everything is back to normal and I can select Windows or Lion.

I have built my Lion with the proper DSDT and multibeast 4.2. I'm sure this used to work on 4.1 - however the other dfference between the rebuild is that Windows now runs on the SSD.

Is this normal behaviour and if not any idears on how to fix this? I'm sure its not doing any of my drives good to be flicking that switch - incidentally, it does sound as though it has properly shut down before I try restarting - ie no fans/hdd/lights etc!

Thanks

MED

MED1975 said:
Hi

I am unable to swap between Windows and Lion 10.7.2 unless I completley shutdown my PC and turn off power at the rear. I have recently rebuilt my entire rig and sure that I didnt have to do this before.

I have Windows on a SSD, 1 regualr SATA HDD for data and a third separate HDD for Lion. GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard.

From a cold start Windows will boot. I can then restart my PC and change the primary boot device to Lion - this will then boot up fine with everything working (except sleep, but I am ingnoring this by just disabling the OS from sleeping in power settings!).

If I restart Lion I am unable to change the primary device at POST and I get a boot error - nothing loads. Same if I shut down and then turn the PC back on. If I shutdown Lion and then flick the power switch on the back of the desktop and turn it back on everything is back to normal and I can select Windows or Lion.

I have built my Lion with the proper DSDT and multibeast 4.2. I'm sure this used to work on 4.1 - however the other dfference between the rebuild is that Windows now runs on the SSD.

Is this normal behaviour and if not any idears on how to fix this? I'm sure its not doing any of my drives good to be flicking that switch - incidentally, it does sound as though it has properly shut down before I try restarting - ie no fans/hdd/lights etc!

Thanks

MED
Why do you want to change the primary boot device? Set the primary boot device to Lion and leave it. If you want to boot Win7, then hit a key at the time out screen and select the Win7 System Reserved icon and hit enter to boot it.

MED[/quote]
Why do you want to change the primary boot device? Set the primary boot device to Lion and leave it. If you want to boot Win7, then hit a key at the time out screen and select the Win7 System Reserved icon and hit enter to boot it.[/quote]

Because I do not want Lion to be my primary OS. Patching Windows using the Chameleon boot loader can cause issues further down the line. I want to be able to WOL my PC over the internet and RDP to it. That is why!

Now is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

MED1975 said:
Because I do not want Lion to be my primary OS. Patching Windows using the Chameleon boot loader can cause issues further down the line. I want to be able to WOL my PC over the internet and RDP to it. That is why!

Now is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

OK, have you tried it with the default partition set for the Win7 in org.chameleon.boot.plist?

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd (x,y)</string>

where x=drive and y=partition for your Win7 boot files?

If the above doesn't work try with

<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>"System Reserved"</string>

and make sure you use the quotes " " around the name System Reserved

Wow I'm astonished that I stumbled upon this after deciding to just stroll the forum for a little bit.

I'm having the same exact problem.

Reboot or shutdown from OS X... On next system boot, my keyboard is completely unresponsive (can't get into BIOS, etc.). GRUB2 displays a list of OSes to choose from (sometimes with the appropriate theme applied, other times with the default black and white text), but I can't select any. Sometimes it'll timeout and try to load the default OS (Ubuntu 11.04), in which case it throws an error saying it can't find the kernel file it needs. I have to hard-reset the computer, then everything is fine.

Happens every time I restart or shutdown from OS X.

Very weird.

Actually I think it might be related to Chameleon because I just tried: GRUB2 -> select OS X -> Chameleon loads -> Select Win7 (System Reserved) -> Win7 boots -> Restart from Win7 -> dead in the water on next boot.

johnc28 said:
Wow I'm astonished that I stumbled upon this after deciding to just stroll the forum for a little bit.

I'm having the same exact problem.

Reboot or shutdown from OS X... On next system boot, my keyboard is completely unresponsive (can't get into BIOS, etc.). GRUB2 displays a list of OSes to choose from (sometimes with the appropriate theme applied, other times with the default black and white text), but I can't select any. Sometimes it'll timeout and try to load the default OS (Ubuntu 11.04), in which case it throws an error saying it can't find the kernel file it needs. I have to hard-reset the computer, then everything is fine.

Happens every time I restart or shutdown from OS X.

Very weird.

Actually I think it might be related to Chameleon because I just tried: GRUB2 -> select OS X -> Chameleon loads -> Select Win7 (System Reserved) -> Win7 boots -> Restart from Win7 -> dead in the water on next boot.

Yes very strange. The advice given to me makes no difference. And you are right - my keyboard is totally unresponsive too. I'm sure it used to work for me, the 2 things that have changed since I noticed this is W7 on an SSD and using 4.2 MultiBeast. Not sure what has caused this!

MED1975 said:
Yes very strange. The advice given to me makes no difference. And you are right - my keyboard is totally unresponsive too. I'm sure it used to work for me, the 2 things that have changed since I noticed this is W7 on an SSD and using 4.2 MultiBeast. Not sure what has caused this!

Well when I installed OS X I used MultiBeast 4.0.3 and had the problem from the get-go... so that might narrow it down for you. lol.

I think I'm going to look into a way to boot OS X without Chimera since I use GRUB2 anyway. (Maybe it can be done?)

John - do you use a wireless Microsoft KB and mouse by any chance?

MED1975 said:
John - do you use a wireless Microsoft KB and mouse by any chance?

No... but I do have a KB / mouse that are hooked into a KVM switch, which can sometimes be sneaky.

I got it working though the other day. I read a thread on here somewhere about it. I moved the Realtek driver out of the S/L/E area. I forget where it was... somewhere in IONetworking something... Contents/Plugins... It had Realtek in the name.

Then I loaded up MultiBeast, clicked on the System Utilities section to rebuild the kexts and cache, then opened up the Drivers section, Networking, and selected the Lnx2Mac networking driver. After that installed I rebooted and of course the problem occurred again (since Chimera had booted w/ the old driver previously). Rebooted the system again, loaded up OS X, made sure the networking was working, rebooted and no problems. :thumbup:

That sounds very likely come to think of it! That is another change I made in this build - I used an alternative ethernet driver. I will give this a go right now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back