Contribute
Register

Dual boot MT LION/Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the stick created with diskpart and it worked after all.
You were right about the speed, there's no difference between now and before.

Thanks!!

Cheers on the guide, guys (and gals)!

Just a quick question, what's the best way to hide Windows 8 partition (it's on a separate SSD) from OS X? I don't want Spotlight to crap all over the drive. So far, I just dragged those two drives onto the Spotlight privacy list. But I'm sure there's a more proper way of doing it?

EDIT: Apparently, OS X lists the Windows 8 drive as an "Untitled" read-only drive. Not sure if I should bother hiding it. But I'm still uncertain that's enough for the drive to cover its track from Spotlight & Time Machine.

Also, visa versa on Windows 8. I'm sure I gotta "hide" the OS X partition (again, it's on a separate SSD). I just sorta assume it won't be a problem, seeing how it's on GUID/HFS+ format. Windows shouldn't be able to touch it, unless I install 3rd party app to access the OS X drive.

Thanks!

Cheers on the guide, guys (and gals)!

Just a quick question, what's the best way to hide Windows 8 partition (it's on a separate SSD) from OS X? I don't want Spotlight to crap all over the drive. So far, I just dragged those two drives onto the Spotlight privacy list. But I'm sure there's a more proper way of doing it?

EDIT: Apparently, OS X lists the Windows 8 drive as an "Untitled" read-only drive. Not sure if I should bother hiding it. But I'm still uncertain that's enough for the drive to cover its track from Spotlight & Time Machine.

Also, visa versa on Windows 8. I'm sure I gotta "hide" the OS X partition (again, it's on a separate SSD). I just sorta assume it won't be a problem, seeing how it's on GUID/HFS+ format. Windows shouldn't be able to touch it, unless I install 3rd party app to access the OS X drive.

Thanks!
If you click on the Libraries folder in the command bar to open explorer, scroll down to Computer and expand it until you can see the C drive, right click on it and select properties. At the upper left is a disk icon and next to it is a blank text box. Click in the box and type in a drive name e.g. Win8, click apply and OK. OS X will now see this drive as Win8

As far as hiding the drive, spotlight can't write to it as OS X isn't able to write to NTFS format natively, and Win8 won't even acknowledge the OS X drive exists as it can't read or write to HFS+ natively.

Brilliant. This worked so well. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back