Contribute
Register

Dual boot Monterey and Win 11 (is TPM 2.0 a problem?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aeorus Master
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
6800 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there,

I‘m running a hackintosh with Catalina (clover bootloader) and Windows 10 quite successfully for two years now.
Everything works fine (sleep, bluetooth, USB ports mapped, nvram working, etc.) - no issues on either of both OS.

HW is GB Aorus Master Z390 with i9 9900k, 64GB RAM, Radeon 5700XT. Each OS on dedicated M.2 SSD (Evo 970).

It’s a rock solid setup and I should leave it running for at least two more years, I know…

Still, there is this urge to update.
I‘m thinking about going to Monterey and Windows11 but I‘m unsure on the best approach.

Here is what I know so far:
My mobo can do TPM 2.0 but it is currently not setup in the BIOS. I think I know the procedure to enable it.
I have read about the trim bug on Samsung SSDs and a WD Black SN750 is on its way here. Actually I believe I ordered a SN850 by accident. Cant hurt.
I‘ll use a fresh SSD for the Win 11 install as well.

Here is my plan - looking for suggestions, hints, etc.:
1.) BackUp everything
2.) Remove the current SSDs (Win10 & Catalina) and store them in a save place.
3.) Add new SSDs (WD SN750 for Monterey, another Evo 970 for Win11)
4.) Update mobo BIOS to latest version (F11n)
5.) Enable TPM 2.0 in mobo BIOS
6.) Install Win 11 on Samsung SSD
7.) Remove Windows Samsung SSD
— do I need to disable TPM 2.0 on the mobo at this point? —
8.) Install OpenCore and Monterey on SN750 SSD
9.) Plugin Windows / Samsung SSD again
10.) everything will be rainbows and unicorns and this point -what could possibly go wrong?

I‘m still not 100% sure about TPM 2.0 vs secure boot and if these two things work with each other, or not.
Will Windows11 be booting fine, with TPM 2.0 disabled? I understand TPM 2.0 is only needed during install. Right?
Will Montery boot with TPM 2.0 enabled?

Any thoughts, comments, warnings, or - even better - experiences are very welcome.

Cheers,

John

You can enable Intel PTT in BIOS to install Windows 11, don't use Secure Boot.
I installed Monterey on a spare test SSD with PTT enabled without problems.
Currently running Big Sur, Monterey and Windows 11 system with PTT enabled and have no issues.
Everything is working fine.

Hi Ben!
that sounds promising!
Any advice on the order of installing the OS‘s ?

Cheers,
John

Hi Ben!
that sounds promising!
Any advice on the order of installing the OS‘s ?

Cheers,
John
Since you are using NVMe drives which can't be disabled in BIOS, install macOS first, unplug the drive and then install Windows on the other so that both systems have their separate EFI. OpenCore works much better with Windows than Clover and having Windows in your OpenCore EFI won't bork your macOS booting but as a precaution, it is better that Windows have their own EFI partition.

Currently builder for the usb windows11 installer Rufus,
allows to select with or without TPM/Secure Boot.

Now I go install a windows11, but maybe in some weeks I'll try to install a macOS.
Should I prepare the usb stick without TPM/Secure Boot?
I mean to avoid use TPM/Secure Boot and to have to reinstall windows11 when I want to go install macOS...

Should I prepare the usb stick without TPM/Secure Boot?
Your motherboard doesn't have TPM at all and you don't want Secure Boot enabled or macOS won't boot.
So it's easy to deduce that you don't want to use either one with macOS.

thanks,
it's for a new mobo.
But ok, I understand that (if enabled) I'll need to change that setting each time I change the boot system.
(win <-> mac)
that's bc my main system will be windows 95%.
Should check if this new feature is useful or not (I don't know yet what does...)

I hope everything gone well, I'm still trying to get my mind clear, I have a dual hackintosh with z390 too, everything is working fine... if I enable TPM and do a normal windows update, it will kill macos?

if I enable TPM and do a normal windows update, it will kill macos?
Each OS is on it's own drive ? If not, they should be.

Disable the sata data cable to your macOS drive when you are updating Windows. If it's an NVMe drive and you can't easily remove it then hopefully you've set up OpenCore properly for a dual boot scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back