Graphics
Geforce GTX 680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First off thanks to everyone here and all your super smart techy guys for doing all this stuff for us noobs. It is greatly appreciated and as soon as I get the load to work I plan on posting my install/completion for others to follow.

I am currently running the following.

Gigabyte z77x-udh5
i7 3770k
16gb corsair vengence ram
nvidia gefore gtx680
m4 crucial 128gb ssd (ML OS X) plugged into sata port 1
m4 crucial 128gb ssd (Win7)
WD 1tb black label (storage drive)
Sound Blaster recon fatal1y (win7 operable only at this point)

Both os x and win7 run almost flawlessly. However at this point I'm having trouble with Chameleon being able to boot up my win7 ssd. Win7 was installed after ML. Win7 ssd was a mbr install. Only way i can boot win7 now is from bios under "windows boot manager." When in chameleon if i select the win7 hard drive it says "missing bootmgr crtl alt del to restart" If I select the reserved windows partition I get the black screen status error = 0xc000000f, install windows cd and restart.

I have tried to repair from the win7 cd and it says i don't have the correct cd that i should use a recovery cd. I opened win7 and created a repair cd and tried to use that and got the same message.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. I'm able to operate both ssd but again being ocd i like the idea of having that chameleon load screen to select what I want to use. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again to Tonymac and everyone on the forum.

Kami

OK, try this. With both SSDs connected and all HDD storage drives disconnected boot to OS X. Open disk utility and select the Win7 SSD in the left pane, select format. Change the present partition to 1 partition, click on options, select GUID. Name the SSD and format it MSDOS FAT 32.

Shut down. Disconnect the OS X SSD. Boot the Win7 install DVD, select the FAT32 formatted SSD as the target partition. Click on the advanced button. Click on format. When it finishes, ckick on continue and install.

When install finishes, update Win7, install all your 3rd party apps and a security suite. Shutdown. Connect the HDD drives. Reboot windows and let it recognize you have added some drives. Shutdown.

Reconnect the OS X SSD, boot to BIOS and make the OS X SSD first in drive boot order. Save and exit and continue boot. It should now show you only one Windows NTFS partition at the Chimera time out screen and it should boot OK.

When I got this error booting with option -F worked for me.

OK, try this. With both SSDs connected and all HDD storage drives disconnected boot to OS X. Open disk utility and select the Win7 SSD in the left pane, select format. Change the present partition to 1 partition, click on options, select GUID. Name the SSD and format it MSDOS FAT 32.

Shut down. Disconnect the OS X SSD. Boot the Win7 install DVD, select the FAT32 formatted SSD as the target partition. Click on the advanced button. Click on format. When it finishes, ckick on continue and install.

When install finishes, update Win7, install all your 3rd party apps and a security suite. Shutdown. Connect the HDD drives. Reboot windows and let it recognize you have added some drives. Shutdown.

Reconnect the OS X SSD, boot to BIOS and make the OS X SSD first in drive boot order. Save and exit and continue boot. It should now show you only one Windows NTFS partition at the Chimera time out screen and it should boot OK.

Thanks, I was having the same problem and this fixed it.

Funny though, I tried formatting my brand new SSD in the Windows installer during my first installation and the option was grayed out.

Thanks! This did it for me.

I don't even wanna know how many tries I had to do till I got OSX 10.8.2 and WIN7 running alongside each other. Lion and WIN7 on the same drive was no problem but updating to ML broke windows. Whatever I tried I couldn't get them to co-exist. In the end I got me an extra SSD for OSX and used the HD for Win, but still bootmgr would disappear... Following this to the letter finally fixed it.

Big thanks to Going Bald for answering all these dual boot help requests. There's a zillion of them in the forum and he's caringly answering pretty much all of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back