5. iBook
  6. Performa
  7. Plus
  8. Portable
  9. Power Mac
  10. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Since searching the forums has not returned any clear answers, yet, I thought I would ask.

I have an older setup that I no longer use and wanted to experiment.

Anywho, the system in question--my former Hackintosh, but it's been a while since I've done this:
Intel Core2Duo @ 3.0GHz,
GeForce 8800GTX w/ 768Mb,
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P,
MAXTOR SATA HDDs - 2x 300Gb.

What I would like to do is this: install Mountain Lion and Ubuntu onto separate hard drives and thusly dual boot.

Here's what I have attempted so far, if it's too n00b-ish please forgive:
I booted from my current iMac and installed ML onto the intended HD externally. I have a backup of ML's installer. Then attempted to use Multibeast while still booted from the iMac and the installer failed. That might be mistake #1.

Next, I attempted to install Ubuntu 12.10 onto the separate HD, in the tower and everything went fine. Until I connected both drives.

Now, of course, ML won't boot and Ubuntu will not let me login to the account I setup.

Here's what I am thinking: I will have to use iBoot then Multibeast with Snow Leopard, use my ML backup to install, get that running, then disconnect that HD and install Ubuntu onto the separate drive.

And thanks in advance.

First thing first, My advice to you would be to Format your ML hard drive correctly, wiping out any installation you have on it, and put it in your hacintosh, then use UNIbeast on your Imac to make an install flash drive with your mountain lion app. After that install ML on your hackintosh, and run the appropriate Multibeast for your set up.

Once you have a solid booting Hackintosh, you would then need to create a Linux Boot USB, for what ever distro you want to use, be it Ubuntu or any of the others out there ( Sorry not a big linux guy ) and install your ( correctly formatted ) hard drive you plan to use for Linux into your Hackintosh, unplugging your Mountian lion HDD.

Then use your motherboards Boot menu ( should be F12 or something ) to select the USB stick to boot from. Once you have done that you should be able to install linux on that drive.

Power the machine down, re connect your Mountian Lion Drive, and make sure your BIOS is set up to boot from that drive first, and your boot loader should detect both Mountian Lion and your Linux install.

Feel free to ask questions, I was fairly vague, figuring you could fill in the blanks.

Hope you get it working!!!

thanks bstrang6.:headbang: Sorry for not getting back to you for so long. I have been "working" on other things all this time.:crazy:

Now I have an opportunity to donate this system to a good friend in need and will be working on making this a triple boot system for him: Win7, Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, and Mavericks.

I will follow the advice you have given me and from there do what I can to make it happen. From here I am going to explore/research more on this forum.:beachball:

thanks bstrang6.:headbang: Sorry for not getting back to you for so long. I have been "working" on other things all this time.:crazy:

Now I have an opportunity to donate this system to a good friend in need and will be working on making this a triple boot system for him: Win7, Ubuntu 12.04.4 LTS, and Mavericks.

I will follow the advice you have given me and from there do what I can to make it happen. From here I am going to explore/research more on this forum.:beachball:
I recommend separate drives, but if you want to install all 3 OS's on the same HDD, see
http://www.tonymacx86.com/snow-leop...multibooting-novice-updated-3-12-see-log.html
Just substitute Mavericks for Snow Leopard and whatever flavor of Linux you want for Ubuntu.
If you are installing on separate drives, the only thing to remember is that you need to select "something Else" on the Ubuntu install screen so you can make Grub2 install on the root partition of your install and not to the HDD partition MBR. Basically, connect 1st drive, install OS, disconnect drive, connect blank drive, install OS, disconnect drive, connect blank drive, install last OS, reconnect all drives, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in HDD boot order.

Been too long in saying thank you for the feed back @GoingBald. I was able to get the Linux installation working, but my friend is able to deal with the manual switching that has to be done.

I don't visit him often enough to be able to get this system working as my C.O.D. would prefer. ;)

Ok, as an update, I attempted to get an update working on his system. I used the latest version of MultiBeast for Mavericks--which is what is installed. I went through all the old settings that I recorded for the system when it 'worked'. Meaning that it booted into OS X when it wanted to…

The first included image is the settings that I attempted with and the 2nd the resulting Verbose Boot screen that I got hung up on for at least two minutes.

I also attempted a reinstall of Mavericks with the stick I created with UniBeast, reset the setting to take off Verbose Mode and still got hung till I gave up for the night.

If anyone can give some feedback I will be eternally grateful. My friend expressed interest of continuing with playing around with OS X, so I am here to figure this out. I am suspecting that I need to turn GraphicsEnabler to Off… :banghead:

MultiBeast - 05 Build.png

Verbos boot on 3:31:2015.jpg

thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back