Graphics
Gigabyte R280X OC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My system was running fine with two different SSD's.
OSX 10.8 on the first one and Win 7 on the second.

Yesterday I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8.First time I restarted the system , Windows 8 started as main OS.
I changed the boot sequel and now I get my bootloader as usual. There I see two entries: ML (OSX) and SSD8 (windows 8)
But when I choose SSD8 I get the famous message "missing MBR"

When I restart my system and press F12 ( boot select) the I see all my drive but also Windows Bootloader.
If that one is selected then windows 8 starts normal.

it looks as Windows MBR is on a different partition, but somehow my OSX bootloader does not show me this one.

This is how my diskutil list looks like:

Code:
localhost:~ Alberto$ diskutil list/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS ML                      127.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         104.9 MB   disk1s1
   2:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk1s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data SSD W8                  127.8 GB   disk1s3

You can see that there is one partition named Microsoft Reserved. I think that partition contains needed MBR.
Unfortunately my bootloader only shows ML and SSD W8.

Already did a fixmbr on windows 8 but that did not solve the problem.

Somebody any idea hoe to be able to choose that partition on my boot loader. (chameleon, chimera)

My system was running fine with two different SSD's.
OSX 10.8 on the first one and Win 7 on the second.

Yesterday I upgraded my Windows 7 to Windows 8.First time I restarted the system , Windows 8 started as main OS.
I changed the boot sequel and now I get my bootloader as usual. There I see two entries: ML (OSX) and SSD8 (windows 8)
But when I choose SSD8 I get the famous message "missing MBR"

When I restart my system and press F12 ( boot select) the I see all my drive but also Windows Bootloader.
If that one is selected then windows 8 starts normal.

it looks as Windows MBR is on a different partition, but somehow my OSX bootloader does not show me this one.

This is how my diskutil list looks like:

Code:
localhost:~ Alberto$ diskutil list/dev/disk0
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI                         209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS ML                      127.7 GB   disk0s2
/dev/disk1
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk1
   1:                        EFI                         104.9 MB   disk1s1
   2:         Microsoft Reserved                         134.2 MB   disk1s2
   3:       Microsoft Basic Data SSD W8                  127.8 GB   disk1s3

You can see that there is one partition named Microsoft Reserved. I think that partition contains needed MBR.
Unfortunately my bootloader only shows ML and SSD W8.

Already did a fixmbr on windows 8 but that did not solve the problem.

Somebody any idea hoe to be able to choose that partition on my boot loader. (chameleon, chimera)

It looks like you did a UEFI install of Win8. You should re-install Win8, being sure to launch the installer in BIOS mode. Disable UEFI in BIOS if you need to. Chimera cannot boot a UEFI install of Windows.

OK, that is no so good news, but if that is the only solution then it as to be done.
Only thing is that I have NO idea how to launch the installer in BIOS mode.

I had a good running windows 7 system, did the windows upgrade but after it was finish windows would not start.
After a while I found the problem, windows did not like the fact that my OSX SSD was still connected.

So i disconnected my OSX SSD and started all over again.
Due to the fact that this was a upgrade, I needed to installed windows 7 using my DVD, After that I upgraded as it should and windows 8 was running fine.
No idea if this was done in UEFI mode.

OK, that is no so good news, but if that is the only solution then it as to be done.

I had a good running windows 7 system, did the windows upgrade but after it was finish windows would not start.
After a while I found the problem, windows did not like the fact that my OSX SSD was still connected.

Due to the fact that this was a upgrade, I needed to installed windows 7 using my DVD, After that I upgraded as it should and windows 8 was running fine.

I'm just going off the fact that I see "Microsoft Reserved" partition in there, which is generally only for UEFI Windows installs.

How you do non-UEFI (Legacy/BIOS boot) depends on your BIOS on your motherboard, and I don't have yours so you're on your own there. You will have to look in your BIOS options for Legacy/BIOS boot to be sure it is enabled, and then when you launch the Win8 installer (either by booting the DVD or USB stick) be sure you are choosing to boot it in legacy/BIOS mode.

I think what RehabMan is referring to is that what you need to do is list the Reserved Partition as one of the boot drives in the boot sequence in the bios (assuming it's available). If the bios won't let you list it as a boot drive, then re-installing it may be the only solution. If you scroll through the list of available drives, you should see one identified by a P1 .. Px designation as well as a UEFI designation. Choose the one with the Px.

I have no idea if my BIOS lets me List the Reverse Partition as one.
My main board is from Gigabyte: GA-z68x-ud3h-b3 wih latest UEFI bios.

About re-installing Windows. As my Windows 8 is an upgrade i need to install Windows 7 first.
Is this the way to do it?

Start my system, Press F12 (boot option) and choose my DVD drive.The one without UEFI , but with P4

924FAB57-AE32-4AA9-97FB-6E3FD2AE155D-1855-000000184DA42ADF.jpg

After that I can install windows the right way. Is this correct?

And should I first clean my windows drive through OSX ?

I have no idea if my BIOS lets me List the Reverse Partition as one.
My main board is from Gigabyte: GA-z68x-ud3h-b3 wih latest UEFI bios.

About re-installing Windows. As my Windows 8 is an upgrade i need to install Windows 7 first.
Is this the way to do it?

Start my system, Press F12 (boot option) and choose my DVD drive.The one without UEFI , but with P4

View attachment 44490

After that I can install windows the right way. Is this correct?

And should I first clean my windows drive through OSX ?

That should do it. Make sure you install both Win7 and Win8 that way (without UEFI...). You can reformat the Windows volume inside the Windows installer itself (recommended).

For installing Windows on UEFI mainboards, to ensure that it installs properly, you should reformat. You can leave the partition tables GUID, format the Win7 partition MSDOS FAT. Shutdown and disconnect all other drives.

Boot with the Win7 DVD in the tray, hit F8 or F12 at the POST to select a boot device. You will see 2 selections for Win7 DVD, one probably has PO in front and the other has UEFI in front of it. Choose the PO one. Use the installer to format the partition NTFS and install.

When you get ready to install the Win8 update, do the same thing - only the Windows drive connected, boot the DVD with F8/F12 and select PO version. Win8 will install an additional 350Gb partition during its install process - this partition will contain recovery files - don't mess with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back