Contribute
Register

Dual Boot MacOSX and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
What version of Linux Mint are you using? Can you provide a download link?
I have a build I am putting together and will be testing some multi boot scenarios on this weekend and will see what happens.

What version of Linux Mint are you using? Can you provide a download link?
I have a build I am putting together and will be testing some multi boot scenarios on this weekend and will see what happens.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

LinuxMINT Cinnamon 64bit

It shouldn't matter, but I also used Unetbootin to build the USB stick --> http://sourceforge.net/projects/une...in-mac-585.zip/download?use_mirror=hivelocity

I think one thing I am going to try is to update libparted before i partition from gparted in the linuxMINT live USB the new libparted (3.0+) is supposed to be more compliant with GPT.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

LinuxMINT Cinnamon 64bit

It shouldn't matter, but I also used Unetbootin to build the USB stick --> http://sourceforge.net/projects/une...in-mac-585.zip/download?use_mirror=hivelocity

I think one thing I am going to try is to update libparted before i partition from gparted in the linuxMINT live USB the new libparted (3.0+) is supposed to be more compliant with GPT.
I usually use a Live DVD to do install with. Does this matter one way or another? If you think it may make a difference, can you write a brief tutorial on how to create a bootable USB with the downloaded file linked above?

EDIT: Never mind the tutorial - I see UNetbootin takes care of everything. Creating USB now. Will test with fresh installs of Lion and Mountain Lion and post results.

EDIT: Never mind the tutorial - I see UNetbootin takes care of everything. Creating USB now. Will test with fresh installs of Lion and Mountain Lion and post results.

Unetbootin finished and gave me a line about it not working on a Mac... please insert USB in a PC....
So I shutdown, disconnected OS X drive and connected a blank drive and booted, F11 at the BIOS post, select the USB and I get a "No operating system found" error. Will try creating it with Wni7 on the UD7 and see if that works better.

It doesn't say on the website, but is the standard MBR, FAT32 format what the UNetbootin is looking for? I am assuming it is and that is what I am using on the USB flash. If it needs something else let me know.

Already have MacOSX up and running. Trying to install and dual boot Linux Mint on separate HD. I have tried several guides but when I boot, Chimera does not see Linux HD? Is there a simple guide to this setup?
I suspect you have been selecting the install option from the first screen you see when you select the install icon on the live dvd/usb desktop screen. Follow this procedure and you should have no problems:
Create your Live DVD or Live USB
boot with it
At the desktop select install icon
On the install page select "something else"
DSC_0058.JPG

Set up your partitions - note: if you already have a default install and are happy with the partitions and sizes, copy that setup when you format your drive again. The partitions and sizes I have here are typical of many linux installations and are not to be taken as set in stone. Make your own decisions as to partition type and size based on your needs and hDD size.
When you have created all of your partitions, there is a selection area below the partitions that says "Device for bootloader installation" and a selection box below it. Default is /dev/sda which you do not want. Click on the selection arrow at the right end of the box and select /dev/sda1 and finish out your install.
DSC_0059.JPG

When you are done installing, shut down, reconnect your other HDDs, boot to BIOS and make the OS X drive first in HDD boot order, save&exit and continue boot. At the chimera screen, hit a key and see this:
DSC_0060.JPG

Get used to the popup screen with the "unable to recognize the drive you installed do you want to initialize it, ignore it, etc..." when you boot OS X because OS X can't recognize EXT4 Linux partitions.

BTW, the HDD I was using for this had a previous install of OS X on it so it was formatted GUID.

EDIT: When you format the drive, make the first partition a small HFS+J partition (100-200Mb as an OS X install has) and it will stop the unable to recognize the disk pop-up. (Thanks to RehabMan for the tip)

OK, used the Windows version and created the USB. Had no trouble installing and using Chimera to boot it with. I suspect that you, like the OP, were selecting the Erase disk and install Linux Mint option. If you are going to multi-boot and want a bootloader other than grub to boot your other OS's, then you can't use the default installation - it installs grub to the MBR of the HDD where Chimera and other bootloaders cannot see it.
See my previous post to answer the OP for installing on separate drives.

For installing on the same drive as OS X, partition your HDD for OS X or shrink the last OS X partition to get enough free space to install Linux and use the same procedure. You shouldn't have any problems with the pop-up error the OP will get.

Finally got it!! I don't know why it wouldn't work as you said. I used the option of "something else" and installed the bootloader "grub" to a partition every time but Chimera didn't see it. Finally I got into terminal from MINT for a while and managed to purge all the old grub files than install it between the linux partition sda3 and the osx partition sda2 on a new partition grub_bios_boot. Updated grub and than there was tux on the next reboot.

Thanks for your help. I am really enjoying OSX ML on my new HackMINI it is awesome... The only thing I can't get to work is the itunes m4v files due to HDCP problems. However I am using all HDCP compliant Hardware... Not really a big deal, just annoying.

Finally got it!! I don't know why it wouldn't work as you said. I used the option of "something else" and installed the bootloader "grub" to a partition every time but Chimera didn't see it. Finally I got into terminal from MINT for a while and managed to purge all the old grub files than install it between the linux partition sda3 and the osx partition sda2 on a new partition grub_bios_boot. Updated grub and than there was tux on the next reboot.

I have been trying to get Mint seen by my Chimera, but haven't had any luck. Could you maybe explain more of what your partition setup is?
I have OSX Mavericks running on an SSD and Mint on a HDD.
Also where to put GRUB at? Is it on the /, or /boot, or the grub_bios_boot. And what did you select for that?

Here is what I have been doing, is there something I am missing? (Btw I am a noob to Linux)
/dev/sda
free space 1MB
/dev/sda1 / 10000MB
/dev/sda2 swap 32000MB
/dev/sda3 /home 10000MB
/dev/sda4 /usr/local 30000MB
free space 417765MB

I have been trying to get Mint seen by my Chimera, but haven't had any luck. Could you maybe explain more of what your partition setup is?
I have OSX Mavericks running on an SSD and Mint on a HDD.
Also where to put GRUB at? Is it on the /, or /boot, or the grub_bios_boot. And what did you select for that?

Here is what I have been doing, is there something I am missing? (Btw I am a noob to Linux)
/dev/sda
free space 1MB
/dev/sda1 / 10000MB
/dev/sda2 swap 32000MB
/dev/sda3 /home 10000MB
/dev/sda4 /usr/local 30000MB
free space 417765MB

With this partition scheme, choose /dev/sda1 / partition to install Grub2 when asked where you want to install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back