Contribute
Register

Dual Boot MacOSX and Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you purge grub from the HDD?

I did that before, it purged like 8 or so. Could there still be a problem? So I think grub could possibly be on my Mav SSD. When I tried putting Linux on before. Would I have to boot into Linux to take grub off the Mav SSD, if it is on there?

I did that before, it purged like 8 or so. Could there still be a problem? So I think grub could possibly be on my Mav SSD. When I tried putting Linux on before. Would I have to boot into Linux to take grub off the Mav SSD, if it is on there?

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing
Use the boot directory switch and choose root partition

[h=1]Moving GRUB 2[/h] The command to change the GRUB 2 installation device or boot files is grub-install run as root. This command allows the user to modify the installation by setting the ROOT directory, preload modules, run specific setup files and more. When executed, grub-install may run one or more other commands, such as grub-probe, grub-mkimage, and grub-setup. Here are some considerations when running grub-install:

• The grub-install command should be used rather than grub-setup under normal circumstances. grub-setup will be called by grub-install when needed.

• The command should specify a device and when executed will install the required GRUB files to the location called for in the options.
    • If only the device is specified (sda, sdb, etc), the boot information will be written to the specified device's boot record. (example: sudo grub-install /dev/sda )

• If the --boot-directory= switch is used, the grub folder will will become a subfolder of the location specified. The --boot-directory switch is available in GRUB 1.99 and later.
  • If the user attempts to run the command with a specific partition (example: sudo grub-install /dev/sda6 ) a warning will be issued. Specifying a partition is not recommended due to the use of blocklists, which the developers consider unreliable. An option is provided on how to override this recommendation if the user still wishes to do so.

• The list of options available for grub-install can be displayed in a terminal with grub-install --help

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Installing
Use the boot directory switch and choose root partition

Ok, I try those cmds in terminal in Mint, but none of them worked. I was getting an Error of a sort, it read like this.

E: Unable to locate package /dev

This happened when I try to install grub, and I got this error (below) when I was purging grub.

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg return an error code

Edit: I also found that my Mav SSD had grub on it, still looking for a way to delete it off.

Ok, I try those cmds in terminal in Mint, but none of them worked. I was getting an Error of a sort, it read like this.

E: Unable to locate package /dev

This happened when I try to install grub, and I got this error (below) when I was purging grub.

E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg return an error code

Edit: I also found that my Mav SSD had grub on it, still looking for a way to delete it off.
with the OS X and Linx drives both connected, boot Linux and open a terminal. Type

fdisk -l

to verify your Linux drive info, then type

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common

When the menu screen comes up, select yes to purge Grub2 from the system. Then reboot. If it won't boot, then you have removed Grub successfully. Shut down, disconnect the OS X drive, boot with a Linux live cd and open a terminal. Type

fdisk -l

and verify the root partition of your Linux drive. Type

sudo apt-get install grub-common grub-pc

when the menu comes up, it will give you a selection of devices to install Grub2 on.
Select the drive/partition for your Linux install (say /dev/sda1 from your fdisk commmand was your Linux root partition you would select that) Then type

sudo update-grub

then, when the update is complete type

sudo shutdown -r now

to reboot

with the OS X and Linx drives both connected, boot Linux and open a terminal. Type

fdisk -l

to verify your Linux drive info, then type

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get purge grub grub-pc grub-common

When the menu screen comes up, select yes to purge Grub2 from the system. Then reboot. If it won't boot, then you have removed Grub successfully. Shut down, disconnect the OS X drive, boot with a Linux live cd and open a terminal. Type

fdisk -l

and verify the root partition of your Linux drive. Type

sudo apt-get install grub-common grub-pc

when the menu comes up, it will give you a selection of devices to install Grub2 on.
Select the drive/partition for your Linux install (say /dev/sda1 from your fdisk commmand was your Linux root partition you would select that) Then type

sudo update-grub

then, when the update is complete type

sudo shutdown -r now

to reboot

I have already erased the drives and reinstalled OSX. I will try to get Linux seen again when my new HDD arrives.
Thank you and this amazing community for all the help. Hopefully I can pass it on.

Hi,

I'm currently planning to install something like Maverick + Fedora (20) on a NUC.
Is there somewhere a guide for this kind of dual-boot, please ?
I already took a look at RehabMan blog, and this looks encouraging,
but it there something more close to my expectations ?

Thanks in advance for any help, Best, G.

Hi,

I'm currently planning to install something like Maverick + Fedora (20) on a NUC.
Is there somewhere a guide for this kind of dual-boot, please ?
I already took a look at RehabMan blog, and this looks encouraging,
but it there something more close to my expectations ?

Thanks in advance for any help, Best, G.

Assuming you mean to install on same SSD for both OS's?
Install OS X, formatting the drive GUID, format the part for OS X as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and leave the portion you intend to use as Linux free space. Install OS X. Once you have OS X updated and booting from HDD, you can install Linux. Best way is to download the Live CD/DVD/USB (most now have a choice of boot media) for your flavor of Linux and burn it to your choice of media, following directions on the Linux forum page where you downloaded it. Then boot with it, and select the install icon on the desktop. Use the linux installer to format the free space on the SSD/HDD, install Linux. Somewhere in the installer there is a way to tell it where to install Grub2. Sometimes you set up your partitions manually and it is in the options there. Sometimes there is an "Advanced" button you can select and it takes you to a screen to select the partition to install Grub2. Pay very carefull attention to this and read the installation instructions over until you are sure you won't mess it up. You want to install Grub2 to the root ( / ) partition. Installing it to the MBR of the drive (the default place to install) messes up Chimera.

Note that this is installing Linux UEFI and it may be painfully slow, depending on your flavor and how it reacts to UEFI. If this occurs, boot to OS X, open disk utility and delete the Linux partitions. Format the free space created by the deletion as MSDOS FAT.
Repeat the steps to install Linux. Download and run gptsync to sync the MBR partitions with the GPT+ partitions so the bootloader will recognize the Linux install.
Most of this is in step-by-step guide by rehabman.

Hi guys. What about this partition scheme?

/dev/sda1 2048 411647 409600 200M Sistema EFI
/dev/sda2 411648 444415 32768 16M Reservado para Microsoft
/dev/sda3 444416 3693144274 3692699859 1,7T Datos básicos de Microsoft
/dev/sda4 3902861312 3904610303 1748992 854M Entorno de recuperación de Windows
/dev/sda5 3904612352 3907028991 2416640 1,2G Entorno de recuperación de Windows
/dev/sda6 3693146112 3869528063 176381952 84,1G Sistema de ficheros de Linux
/dev/sda7 3869528064 3902861311 33333248 15,9G Linux swap

I want to install Mac OSX in /dev/sda3 (or do you recommend to install in /dev/sda6 and move Linux to sda3?)

EDIT: Maybe you can share your opinion? @Going Bald

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back