Contribute
Register

Dual Boot Mac OS High Sierra And Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
hp elite 8300
CPU
i7 << need model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
gtx 1050 ti
Ηello guys i need your help.

I installed Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6 before 2 day on my HP Compaq 8300 Elite, this installation was difficult for me because it was my first. Μany thanks to the tonymacx Forum for the information and the steps they gave me for the installation. I dont know from, BIOS settings, UEFI and Legecy modes. What I want is to have Mac and Windows on my computer and switch between them easy and SAFTY because Ι work on Mac. A week ago Ι install Windows 10 on a different SSD inside my HP and it worked perfectly. For safety Ι put in and take out the Mac SDD to run Windows and Ι change the settings in the BIOS from UEFI to Legecy and the converse. I was afraid that something might go wrong and some of the 2 software might be damaged. Worked well but after 2-3 days I woke up and opened the computer that Ι had connected Mac SSD with the Mac BIOS settings and my computer was not reading the Mac SSD in the Boot Order, Ι got message in my screen "checking media precence" and then "no option to boot" after many attempts lest it open but its not, Ι thought to try the SSD on my father's original mac and read it normally as an external drive with the files inside Ι dont try to boot with this SDD on this Mac because Ι was afraid the MAC might be damaged. After a few days Ι installed the Mac on my SSD and they worked perfectly with their drivers and everything. And now I already have the SSD that Windows 10 is installed and I want to connect it to the computer together with the Mac SSD and Ι want to have the choice to choose which one to boot from the green clover bootloader without changing the BIOS settings and without to put in and take out the discs. Do you know a SAFE way to do this and do not destroy the software again as before?

Many thanks to those who read my text and sorry for my bad English.

This is Ivy Bridge cpu?
If yes, best to install both Windows and Mac OS using Legacy boot mode for both. Early implementation of UEFI in Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge was full of bugs. See for guide.

This is Ivy Bridge cpu?
If yes, best to install both Windows and Mac OS using Legacy boot mode for both. Early implementation of UEFI in Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge was full of bugs. See for guide.
Can you tell me what the differences are between UEFI and Legacy?

Legacy mode uses BIOS (Basic Input Output System) which is what all older computers use. UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) is the successor of BIOS. It overcomes several limitations of the old BIOS such as the 2.1 max size boot drive and it has to run on 16 bit cpu and execute within 1 MB of space. It also has problems initiating multiple hardware devices at once resulting in a slower boot process.

If you want to try installing in UEFI mode on separate drives see the guide pinned at the beginning of this forum for booting UEFI on separate drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back