Contribute
Register

Dual boot issue: Windows 10 & High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all - please could you help me with an issue. I had a working Windows 10 installation (dedicated SSD drive) and fresh installed High Sierra onto another SSD in the system. High Sierra is working fine but I'm now unable to boot to the Windows drive (tried force boot of the drive via BIOS, selecting the drive via Clover all to no avail). I am unable to get into Windows at all - if I try to boot off the drive then it goes to a black screen or comes back into the BIOS.

The data seems to be ok on the Windows drive since I can see it in High Sierra. Have I somehow lost the EFI of Windows and if so how can I resolve? I do not have easy access to a Windows system now which makes it harder :/

Many thanks!

Can you remove the OS X drive and boot Windows if it is the only drive in the system?
Did you make any BIOS changes in order to install Mac OS X?
Did you leave the Windows drive connected when you installed OS X?

Can you remove the OS X drive and boot Windows if it is the only drive in the system?

No, just tried disconnecting all but the windows drive and it goes from a black screen back into the bios

Did you make any BIOS changes in order to install Mac OS X?

Yes, but have tried resetting to defaults and still not working

Did you leave the Windows drive connected when you installed OS X?

Yes - in retrospect I can see how its probably recommended to disconnect!

Is there anything I can try to restore the windows boot?

Thanks for your help

Thanks for your help

Google 'Windows 10 boot repair' and you find several different methods for repairing your Windows 10 boot files. Most require a bootable Windows 10 installation USB - you can Google how to make one of those, too.

Good Luck

-bth

No, just tried disconnecting all but the windows drive and it goes from a black screen back into the bios

Yes, but have tried resetting to defaults and still not working

Thanks for your help
Boot the Win10 install media and select repair instead of install is easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back