Graphics
Asus Strix GTX960 2Gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've got a fully functional El Capitan installation running but I would like the option of Windows 10 as well.

I run el cap from an SSD but I also have a 1tb HDD in the machine so I will use that to install Win 10.

I have downloaded Win 10 64bit from Ms and used 'Rufus' to create a bootable UEFI USB installation drive. I configured Rufus to create the drive with the GPT partition scheme with FAT32 file system and the drive was created with no problems.

Prior to attempting to install Win 10 I used el cap disk utility to format the 1tb HDD as one partition with GUID partition scheme, I then shut down, un-plugged the SSD inserted the USB drive, changed the boot order and booted from the USB. All goes well until it comes to the point of choosing the HDD to install Wondows 10 to, it recognises the 1tb HDD but says it has an MBR partition scheme and tels me the installation requires a GPT partition scheme but I formatted the HDD as GUID.

Why does the Rufus created USB drive / Win 10 installation see my HDD as MBR and not GPT?

Motherboard
MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus
CPU
i7 10700
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
You may have to reformat the Win 10 drive using diskpart.
The Win 10 installer should give you the option of going to a command prompt.
The general commands are:
Type diskpart and press [Enter]
Type in LIST DISK and press Enter.
Type in SELECT DISK X where X is the disk number
SELECT DISK 0 and press [Enter]
Type in CLEAN and press [Enter].
That generates a completely empty drive to be formatted by the Win 10 installer.
I do not remember but I believe the Win 10 installer may only give the option of NTFS. You can carve out a portion of it later in Win 10 to reformat as fat 32 or use a free utility to do that in Windows if you want to slice off a bigger chunk than Windows disk manager will allow.

Motherboard
MSI Z97M Gaming
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K s1150
Graphics
Asus Strix GTX960 2Gb
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does Win 10 64bit require the GUID (GPT) parti
You may have to reformat the Win 10 drive using diskpart.
The Win 10 installer should give you the option of going to a command prompt.
The general commands are:
Type diskpart and press [Enter]
Type in LIST DISK and press Enter.
Type in SELECT DISK X where X is the disk number
SELECT DISK 0 and press [Enter]
Type in CLEAN and press [Enter].
That generates a completely empty drive to be formatted by the Win 10 installer.
I do not remember but I believe the Win 10 installer may only give the option of NTFS. You can carve out a portion of it later in Win 10 to reformat as fat 32 or use a free utility to do that in Windows if you want to slice off a bigger chunk than Windows disk manager will allow.

Thank you sir, using this I was able to install Win 10 as a dual boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.