Contribute
Register

Which option would be easier?

• W10 on SSD, EC on HDD (1st partition) and 2nd partition for sharing between systems

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS H97M-E
CPU
Intel i5 4460
Graphics
MSI GTX 750 2GB
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hello.
I'm not a complete newbie, but what I want to do, I'm not sure I can do by myself.
Here's the thing.
I have an SSD with El Capitan on it.
I want to buy an HDD and do the following.

1st option:
Wipe SSD and install Windows10 on it.
Make 2 partitions on HDD.
1st partition for El Capitan, the installation and everything.
2nd partition to be used for files, documents, movies etc THAT IS TO BE SHARED BETWEEN El Capitan and W10.

The 2nd option:
SSD is 120GB, so I don't think I can do both installations on it.
I would prefer to have both W10 and El Capitan on SSD and just use HDD as a shared partition between them.

I guess, here's what I need to do for 1st option:

1. Get HDD and take out SSD.
2. Partition it in HFS (1st partition) & ExFat (2nd partition) during El Capitan installation. (Or maybe NTFS for 2nd partition?)
3. Install El Capitan.
4. Disconnect HDD and connect SSD.
5. Install Windows on SSD.
6. Reconnect both, boot with USB and install Clover. (?)
Would that work?

For the 2nd option (Both installations on SSD, HDD shared between them):

1. Partition SSD in HFS for 1st partition and ??? for 2nd partition.
2. Install El Capitan on 1st partition, and install W10 on 2nd.
3. Boot USB again, and install Clover.
4. Connect HDD and reformat it to ExFat inside Mac OS. (?)

The fun part:

I want UEFI installations on both. But, when I install Mac, I think I need to use UEFI > Secure Boot > OS Type > Other OS.
For W10 UEFI mode, I need to select UEFI > Secure Boot > OS Type > Windows OS.
I haven't really tested it with El Capitan, now, with this installation, but I do remember that Windows fails to install for some reason. Either Other OS is the problem, or partitioning during El Capitan installation is the problem.

Here's my specs:

Intel i5 4460
Patriot Blaze 120GB
ASUS H97M-E
I want to get WD 1TB HDD.

I realise I have posted in wrong sub forum.
Can some mod move thread or should I repost it there also and wait for this 1 to get deleted?

Your best bet is another SSD for Windows. Your HDD can be any size 2TB or smaller, formatted MBR/MSDOS FAT (FAT32) and both OS X and Windows can natively read and write to it with now problems. Trying to create a UEFI partition fow Windows and a hybrid MBR partition for shared files is not best idea in the world and installing OS X and Windows on same drive UEFI is a big :banghead::banghead:.

Well, I've gone ahead already, and installed both El Capitan and W10 on the same SSD, both UEFI mode, or at least W10 is.
I don't know how to check if EC is UEFI, but I did boot UEFI mode on USB and I did check UEFI Clover, so I guess they both are UEFI.
Now, I'm about to order an HDD. Should I make it a GPT drive with ExFat partitioning? FAT32 partitioning maybe?
I'd rather it was GPT. Could that work.

Now, even though Clover sees my UEFI W10 now, and I'm able to boot it through Clover, I fiddled with Clover and now it doesn't show text under partitions, and it shows 2/6 icons bellow partition.
I can't 'exit', 'restart'. There are no 'options'. There's only 'Shell' and 'Clover Options'.
Can that be reseted to default somehow?
Or should I just reinstall Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back