Graphics
GTX-760
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys, I'm really sorry if there is a similar post on the forum, but I believe this might be a specific question due to my custom specs and maybe unique (even though I doubt it) case.

Let's start with what I have:
Currently I have Windows 7 installed on my SSD and I have a 1tb HDD attached with random data on it. I want to install Yosemite on my HDD so I can dual boot. Both are NTFS formatted, so can I install Yosemite on my HDD without fully formatting the whole drive and will I be able to dual boot it?
My specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GRYPHON Z87
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
111GB KINGSTON KINGSTON SH103S3 SCSI Disk Device (SSD)

:beachball::beachball::beachball::beachball::beachball::beachball:
Thank you!

Hey guys, I'm really sorry if there is a similar post on the forum, but I believe this might be a specific question due to my custom specs and maybe unique (even though I doubt it) case.

Let's start with what I have:
Currently I have Windows 7 installed on my SSD and I have a 1tb HDD attached with random data on it. I want to install Yosemite on my HDD so I can dual boot. Both are NTFS formatted, so can I install Yosemite on my HDD without fully formatting the whole drive and will I be able to dual boot it?
My specs:

Intel Core i7 4770 @ 3.40GHz
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. GRYPHON Z87
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0 SCSI Disk Device (SATA)
111GB KINGSTON KINGSTON SH103S3 SCSI Disk Device (SSD)
No.

OS X requires GPT/HFS+J formatting to install.
What you can do is back up all your data on the HDD (copy to (C:\) or to USB flash or USB HDD)

Boot OS X install media, format the drive and partition it GUID option, partition for DATA and partition for OS X. Format your DATA partition MSDOS FAT and both Windows and OS X can read it/write to it.

No.

OS X requires GPT/HFS+J formatting to install.
What you can do is back up all your data on the HDD (copy to (C:\) or to USB flash or USB HDD)

Boot OS X install media, format the drive and partition it GUID option, partition for DATA and partition for OS X. Format your DATA partition MSDOS FAT and both Windows and OS X can read it/write to it.

Ah, was afraid that is the case :/ Unfortunately, I don't have a place to back up around 600gb of data :/ And I guess backing up my SSD NTFS formatted and then restoring windows on a newly formatted SSD isn't going to work? I have programs installed on D:\, will that cause issues with a restored windows?

Thanks for the answer!

Ah, was afraid that is the case :/ Unfortunately, I don't have a place to back up around 600gb of data :/ And I guess backing up my SSD NTFS formatted and then restoring windows on a newly formatted SSD isn't going to work? I have programs installed on D:\, will that cause issues with a restored windows?

Thanks for the answer!
If you have a blank SSD just install OS X on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back