Contribute
Register

Dual Boot, Dual Card Mojave? [AMD - Mac, Nvidia - PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I am pretty sure that MacOS will use the card in the first slot only. As far as I know, you cannot swap between graphic cards in MacOS as you would do in Windows. Be sure to have 2 8x PCI-E gen3 slot in your future motherboard !
Sorry I cannot help you, I do not understand how he managed to do that. I hope he will reply. Here is the link to ask him : https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/t...3-on-asus-370-e/?tab=comments#comment-2654203

I tried this but does not work : https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-on-haswell-intel-4600hd.231800/#post-1582114

I think the value is for PEG0 and not PEG1....
Again alot of thanks to you I’m planning for this motherboard
GIGABYTE Z370XP SLI (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard
https://m.newegg.com/global/ae/product/N82E16813145039
If not suitable can you recommend to me 8th generation motherboard that working fine with this configuration
i have alreay I7 8700k cpu not overcloocked and not planning to do
I hope this guy will reply to my request when i send it to him
How you were able to disabling amd in windows is it easy?

As far I can see on Gigabyte website, chipset is OK (Lan, Audio, PCI-E 16x 8x...). Well most Z370/Z390 motherboards are compatible now with 8th Intel CPU generation.
You do not need to disable the AMD in Windows. Examples :

- Only one monitor : connect both cards to it, then switch with your monitor between the two cards via the OSD/menu. It will load the application with the active screen (so in that case the graphic card in use). You can also tell to Windows to use a given graphic card for a given application (in advanced display preferences). That's all.

- More than 1 monitor : you can use both cards at the same time. When you open an application on a given screen with a given graphic card it will use it on that screen. Again, you can force windows to use a given graphic card.

Yes only one PSU (ANTEC 620W) for RX580 Nitro+ and EVGA GTX 1060 SC (overclocked by myself) + I7 3770K overclocked to 4,3 GHZ + 2 HDD + 2 SSD. I was playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider during 1 hour without any problem on windows with the GTX (fans stopped on the RX580 so Idle) and played Alien Isolation and Rise of The Tomb Raider on MAC for 1 hour over the RX580 (fan stopped on the GTX so Idle).

How did you get the fans to idle on the GTX in macOS? I have been able to unload my 980 Ti from the PCIe in macOS Mojave but the fans continue to spin. Any ideas?

How did you get the fans to idle on the GTX in macOS? I have been able to unload my 980 Ti from the PCIe in macOS Mojave but the fans continue to spin. Any ideas?

Nothing... I just uninstalled the nvidia webdriver and CUDA.

I did the dual GPU configuration on my "old" Z77 motherboard (2013 or so). I see no reason why it should not work on a modern motherboard. 1080ti will not bottleneck with 8x gen3.0 PCI-E. Only RTX 2080Ti can (about 10% less as far as I know).
Your 850 PSU should be good as the GPU you will not use will Idle.
Even if I am pretty sure you can find micro ATX that supports 2 8x PCI-E gen3.0, please keep in mind that you will increase heat inside your tower.

And for the sleep/wake problem, it is solved. A guy modified my DSDT to remove the GTX1060. I asked him to explain as I like to know how things work. Once I have got his answer I will post the reply. As far as I can see he added this in the DSDT under PEG1 (GTX 1060) :

Code:
                Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)  // _DSM: Device-Specific Method
                {
                    If (LNot (Arg2))
                    {
                        Return (Buffer (One)
                        {
                             0x03                                          
                        })
                    }

Return (Package (0x06)
                    {
                        "name",
                        Buffer (0x09)
                        {
                            "#display"
                        },

"IOName",
                        "#display",
                        "class-code",
                        Buffer (0x04)
                        {
                             0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF, 0xFF                        
                        }
                    })
                }
Were you able to know how he did it?
I received my new motherboard and rx580 I’m going to install mojave and i wish i could adjust my dsdt file

Were you able to know how he did it?
I received my new motherboard and rx580 I’m going to install mojave and i wish i could adjust my dsdt file

Unfortunately no. However you can try the code above, I am pretty sure it will work as I added this to my original DSDT and it worked.

Otherwise try to ask him.

Unfortunately no. However you can try the code above, I am pretty sure it will work as I added this to my original DSDT and it worked.

Thanks I will give a try

Can you help me in which line exactly i will add the code?
And is it the same code? I have 1080ti ?

I am not at home until Friday. Share your original DSDT.
You can check also in _DSM (into device PEG1, assuming PEG1 is your 1080 ti).

Last edited:
I am not at home until Friday. Share your original DSDT.
You can check also in _DSM (into device PEG1, assuming PEG1 is your 1080 ti).
thanks in advance
check my attachment

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    259 KB · Views: 107
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back