i7-37700S
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,
I have a Win7 MBR Hard Drive and want to clone that partition to a new GPT disk so I can dual boot OSX and Windows7.

I have done:
- partitioning in OSX Installing
- install temporal Win7
- clone the partition using gparted from old disk to new disk, overwriting the temporal windows 7
- install OSX
- run multibeast, chimera, etc

OSX Is running fine, the problem is the cloned Windows 7. It does not boot.

I have all sort of thinks like repairing from install CD and recovery CD, editing the BCD, etc.

When I try to boot windows 7 I just got a black screen and the computer freezes.

Any help on cloning a Windows 7 from MBR to GTP?

many thanks
Oliver

Hi,
I have a Win7 MBR Hard Drive and want to clone that partition to a new GPT disk so I can dual boot OSX and Windows7.

I have done:
- partitioning in OSX Installing
- install temporal Win7
- clone the partition using gparted from old disk to new disk, overwriting the temporal windows 7
- install OSX
- run multibeast, chimera, etc

OSX Is running fine, the problem is the cloned Windows 7. It does not boot.

I have all sort of thinks like repairing from install CD and recovery CD, editing the BCD, etc.

When I try to boot windows 7 I just got a black screen and the computer freezes.

Any help on cloning a Windows 7 from MBR to GTP?

many thanks
Oliver

Why not just install the Win7 MBR HDD and dual boot with Chimera Bootloader? It is better to have separate drives for each OS anyway.
If you install Win7 on GUID, the Chimera bootloader will not see the EFI boot files for Win7 and it will not boot.

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have to use only 1 hard disk (the old one is slow/small and 1 HD use less power than 2 HD).

I noted the problem with EFI boot in Windows, but I can boot via BIOS by selecting F10. I just don't want to install
all the apps in Windows again. Will try clonezilla this time.

Regards,
Oliver

Making sure I understand.
1. you have a HDD formatted GUID with OS X installed on it.
2. you have an older HDD formatted MBR/NTFS with Win7 installed on it.
3. you want to create a partition on the OS X HDD and clone the Win7 HDD to the OS X HDD

Is this accurate statement of situation?
If yes, then format your Win7-to-be partition MSDOS FAT with the OS X disk utility. This will create a hybrid GUID/MBR partition for your Win7.

Boot the Win7 HDD, run the cleaner program to get rid of trash files. Run defragger to minimize the space occupied by the program.
Using disk management tool, create a partition on the end of the drive large enough to hold a disk image.
Create the disk image and save to the new partition

If you have a System Reserved partition, then you have to do the same for it and you have to make a partition for it on the OS X drive just like it is on the existing Win7 HDD, and make it the same size and same format.

format the Win7-to-be partition on the OS X drive NTFS

Restore the disk image(s) to the partition(s) on the OS X drive

This is easiest way I know of to get what you want without using any 3rd party cloning software.

When you installed Win7, it created a file in the system which is essentially a list of the system hardware- i.e. mainboard/CPU/RAM, etc.
Be aware that Win7 will boot halfway to desktop and then tell you that you have a pirated version if you are putting it in a build with different hardware than what you used when you installed it. This is part of MS's anti-piracy efforts.

Thanks Going Bald,
I followed your instructions and I could have OSX Installed, Fresh Win7 installed, both selectable from chimera boot manager.

I tried to create an image using Windows 7 backup, but I got an error. Maybe because I have 1 bad sector.

Then, I could copy the partition using clonezilla but I ended up in the same problem, I can not boot the cloned Windows 7 partition. The bcdboot did not help. The Repair option form the Windows 7 Pro 64 DVD works, but then, black screen is all I got.

Tonight I will try overwriting chimera or copying the \boot from the fresh win7 temporary install.

Will report back.

Thanks Going Bald,
I followed your instructions and I could have OSX Installed, Fresh Win7 installed, both selectable from chimera boot manager.

I tried to create an image using Windows 7 backup, but I got an error. Maybe because I have 1 bad sector.

Then, I could copy the partition using clonezilla but I ended up in the same problem, I can not boot the cloned Windows 7 partition. The bcdboot did not help. The Repair option form the Windows 7 Pro 64 DVD works, but then, black screen is all I got.

Tonight I will try overwriting chimera or copying the \boot from the fresh win7 temporary install.

Will report back.

If you have a fresh install, why not connect up the old drive and migrate your files? Or are you trying to avoid re-installing Office apps and possibly games?

Yes, I was trying to avoid any kind of re-install or re-configuration.

After many days of trial and error I solved the problem, here is how.

Instructions:
- create the partitions as in the tonymacx86 instructions
- from a temporary Windows XP installation, clone the Windows 7 partition using richcopy + robocopy

Details:
- I created the partitions using tonymacx86 instructions. Created 2 partitions from the OSX Installer
- Installed Windows 7, confirmed it booted
- I had an old WinXP instalation, from that I cloned the Win7 partition
- Since all Windows data resides in Program Files, Program Data, Users and Windows root directories, I cloned only those 4 directories
- I cloned using first richcopy, because richcopy maintain the "created date" of each file and directory
- Then I cloned the same directories again using robocopy, because robocopy clones the security detail better. Right click, then Security and confirm that you can see unresolved SID numbers. Richcopy didn't copy that. But robocopy did not clone the "Create date" of each file and directory

The main points of this solution:
- after doing partitioning from OSX Installer and installing Windows 7, Windows 7 Boots without problem in the so called MBR mode. Windows 7 boots using MBR tools but it resides in a GPT partitioned drive.
- gparted did not work, after cloning the Win7 drive it just won't boot. Tryied: bootcfg, bootsec, etc
- clonezilla did not work, same as gparted
- Windows Image Backup, returned an error
- Windows imageX, could not try
- any other partition tool, did not have access or not wanted to try. The idea was to use official or open source solutions
- wanted to have a fresh NTFS formated FS in a 4k hard drive. Its a Seagate so it managed a non-aligned partition. Also, wanted to use a OSX partitioned drive.
- I will be updating OSX but will remain in Windows 7 until 9
- wanted to use only 1 hard drive

Commands:
- richcopy, select all 4 directories, select advanced view, select the option to clone all files, clone all security related info, use 3 o 4 file copy thread(beware of higly fragmented HD)
- robocopy, add your account to the Backup group using usrmgr.msc, use switches /copyall /zb

Interesting notes:
- a rotational hard drive is really faster until like 60% of the drive, then it does down in performance. Tested with hdtune
- you can clean the bad sector flag on an NTFS using gparted live cd, with the ntfsfix command. Also with a newer chkdsk /b
- you can clone a ntfs fs with bad sectors with the --rescue command line in ntfsclone in gparted. Just run GUI then copy the command line

Other things to try (I had no more time and a clone partition taks takes me 2.5 hours)
- partition using OSX installer
- clone Win7 partition using some partition clone tools
- install Windows 7, the restore your previous installation, restoring the windows.old folder
- this should fix the boot procedure that was failing on me after a partition clone

Links:
dualboot http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/11/dual-boot-windows-7-and-os-x-snow.html
gparted http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
clonezilla http://gparted.sourceforge.net/
richcopy http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx
robocopygui http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2006.11.utilityspotlight.aspx
robocopy for XP http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17657
robocopy command line example http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/12/07/100596.aspx
hdtune benchmark http://www.hdtune.com/
windows.old http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760

HTH
Oliver

If you have a fresh install, why not connect up the old drive and migrate your files? Or are you trying to avoid re-installing Office apps and possibly games?

Seems to me it would have been simpler to just re-install all the apps from scratch.

I agree, and I think is the recommended way to configure a dual-boot system on a single disk.

But in case someone has the same requirements as me, to be able to migrate a complex Windows 7 installation into a dual-boot with OSX on a single disk, then here is my experience.

Regards,
Oliver

Seems to me it would have been simpler to just re-install all the apps from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back