6700k @4.5
Graphics
EVGA 1080Ti SC2
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all,

Current I am running 10.6.4 (yay!) and I want to get around to installing win7 to dual boot. Right now I have 2 GUID formatted HDDs. I want to install win7 on the 2nd drive. Is is possible/acceptable to just repartition that drive with disk util to have a FAT partition and then install win7 on that? I've seen http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3631 and was wondering if spalek83's instructions would work on a double partitioned 2nd drive w/ chameleon having a boot choice?

Thanks for your time!
I am running hardware similar to tonymacx's rig.

Well, you may be able to just repartition and reformat the 2nd HDD during the Win7 installation, rather than having to do any stuff first in Disk Utility.

Whilst I've not tried this recently, I thought Win 7 is OK to be detected/booted on different drive via Chameleon on the (1st booted) OSX drive.
Note that this does not work (for me) for Win XP, probably as XP is fussy about needing to be the first boot drive etc, so needs some messing with...

Worst case, its just F12 at boot to select which HD to boot the PC from!

I recommend following this dual booting guide, pay specific attention to where it tells you how to fix the MBR after Windows screws it up or Chameleon will not run when you boot. I've got dual boot working perfectly using the info from this article. http://osx86.sojugarden.com/2009/12/dua ... mystified/

to all those wondering on dual booting with 2 drives GUID~

I changed my 2nd drive partition size in diskult creating a 2nd partition (new one as FAT), unplugged my main mac drive, installed windows on the new partition(had it reformat it to NTFS), plugged my main drive back in, and Chameleon gave the boot choice for win or SL right away no problems!

thanks all~!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back