Not open for further replies.

app

Motherboard
HP Probook 4540s(Clover)
CPU
i5 3320m
Graphics
1366x768
I used the clover guide to install Mavericks on its own ssd. All is good. I'd like to dual boot it with the original windows 8 drive. I don't have the install cd.

First problem: it's MBR. I figure I can use this guide to convert it to UEFI, but if you know a better way, do tell.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...erting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

Will clover automatically detect the presence of the 2nd drive(sorta like chameleon does with MBR) as long as it's UEFI or will have to do something else? I don't really understand the guide when it gets to the dual boot part. It seems like it's talking about using one drive. I already tried with the mbr drive and it doesn't see it. \

Is this even possible?

I used the clover guide to install Mavericks on its own ssd. All is good. I'd like to dual boot it with the original windows 8 drive. I don't have the install cd.

First problem: it's MBR. I figure I can use this guide to convert it to UEFI, but if you know a better way, do tell.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...erting-windows-bios-installation-to-uefi.aspx

Will clover automatically detect the presence of the 2nd drive(sorta like chameleon does with MBR) as long as it's UEFI or will have to do something else? I don't really understand the guide when it gets to the dual boot part. It seems like it's talking about using one drive. I already tried with the mbr drive and it doesn't see it. \

Is this even possible?

Clover should be able to boot a legacy/MBR install of Windows on a separate drive without issue. I haven't tried it, but in theory, it just works...

Ok, maybe I need to something besides just plug it in.

Do I need to do anything in Clover configuration to get it to see it?

You need to have the entry shown, either automatically or by entering it as a custom entry.

Do I need to rename new bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig again as in the guide:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/hp-probook-mavericks/112383-guide-install-mavericks-clover-bootloader.html

There will be no bootmgfw.efi if the Windows install is legacy, because there is no EFI partition on the drive (it is MBR, not GPT).

Well it's not showing automatically. So how do I make a custom entry? In CC I notice there's a "boot" section, and then a "legacy" field under that. I'm afraid if I change it I won't be able to boot into Mavericks disk.

You'll have to experiment. Reading the Clover wiki may be useful: http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/

Just make a backup of your working config.plist so you can easily restore it.

Turns out it boots to windows if I choose "exit clover", but it does take 40 seconds to boot vs 10-15 before. I really really like(d) the faster boot times. Think it'll go back to the faster boot if I convert it UEFI?

To make this happen, I switched the windows to the main drive bay and the mavericks to the cd bay caddy. It still didn't work. I can't remember for sure but I think clover didn't even come up. I got some kind of menu that asked if I wanted to run a memory check or a drive check. I chose the quick check on the drive just out of boredom and curiosity. Don't know if that made a difference, but I rebooted and clover came up and I chose mavericks and it hung on the apple logo. At this point I figured I couldn't run mavericks and/or clover from the cd bay but I tried again any way and it worked. Weird. After trying all the options at the clover menu finally got to "exit clover" and windows booted, only much more slowly as mentioned. I've tried several times now and still, windows boots slowly- ok well 40 excruciating;) seconds- and mavericks boots as normal- 10-15 seconds.

I switched the drives back to windows in the cd bay and mavericks in the main slot. No go. I got that same menu asking if I wanted to check the drive. I didn't run the drive check this time since I was too impatient and didn't know if it made a difference anyway.

Here's where things get interesting. When switched the drives back AGAIN to windows in the main slot, I exited clover on the first boot to get to windows and it booted quickly as it used to- 10-15 seconds. I restarted and chose mavericks this time and it hung on the apple logo again. I shutdown and restarted and chose mavericks one more time and it booted fine. THEN restarted and chose exit clover to get to windows, and it reverted BACK to the slow boot.

Turns out it boots to windows if I choose "exit clover", but it does take 40 seconds to boot vs 10-15 before. I really really like(d) the faster boot times. Think it'll go back to the faster boot if I convert it UEFI?

To make this happen, I switched the windows to the main drive bay and the mavericks to the cd bay caddy. It still didn't work. I can't remember for sure but I think clover didn't even come up. I got some kind of menu that asked if I wanted to run a memory check or a drive check. I chose the quick check on the drive just out of boredom and curiosity. Don't know if that made a difference, but I rebooted and clover came up and I chose mavericks and it hung on the apple logo. At this point I figured I couldn't run mavericks and/or clover from the cd bay but I tried again any way and it worked. Weird. After trying all the options at the clover menu finally got to "exit clover" and windows booted, only much more slowly as mentioned. I've tried several times now and still, windows boots slowly- ok well 40 excruciating;) seconds- and mavericks boots as normal- 10-15 seconds.

I switched the drives back to windows in the cd bay and mavericks in the main slot. No go. I got that same menu asking if I wanted to check the drive. I didn't run the drive check this time since I was too impatient and didn't know if it made a difference anyway.

Here's where things get interesting. When switched the drives back AGAIN to windows in the main slot, I exited clover on the first boot to get to windows and it booted quickly as it used to- 10-15 seconds. I restarted and chose mavericks this time and it hung on the apple logo again. I shutdown and restarted and chose mavericks one more time and it booted fine. THEN restarted and chose exit clover to get to windows, and it reverted BACK to the slow boot.

Some research I posted in my most recent thread confirmed that my probook 4540s could not boot a completely fresh install of windows on a new drive from the media bay drive caddy. It just times out missing bootmanager 3f0.

Legacy mbr drives in the main bay with the efi osx drive in the media bay works fine bc efi can read from there for some reason.

delete- I reinstalled windows

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back