Motherboard
ASUS Z170I Gaming Pro
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
onboard
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I built a really cute but powerful system in a In-Win 901 Mini-ITX case. Thermal situation remains to be seen. NVMe drive gets rather hot (40-50), there is no fan nearby. And maybe later I will add a graphics card, this for sure will challenge the whole cooling system.

Configuration
- ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming Mini-ITX
- i7 6700K with Noctua NH-D9L (110 mm high)
- 2x 8 GB HyperX Fury (2.666 MHz)
- m.2 NVMe PCI 3.0 Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
- IN-WIN 901 with 2 Noctua fans (NF-F12 and NF-A9 both PWM)

I was worried that the 950 Pro is too advanced to use it as boot drive. Also the BIOS doesn’t seem to recognize the drive (however not sure where I should see it there). But quite the opposite, the systems boots and this incredible fast (at least windows, OS X is ok)

Windows 10 recognized and formatted the drive right away. Just afterwards to install El Capitan turned out (at least for me) as impossible. I could install OS X (however had to use different disk utility for partitioning as the apple one did not recognize the drive correctly) but the BIOS did not recognize the Clover EFI bootloader, although it was on the EPS - BIOS only offered the Windows Boot Manager for booting. To boot with Clover I had to use a USB stick with Clover installed (like Unibeast).

The other way around works: First install OS X then Win 10. Interesting fact: For a new installation I had to wipe clean the drive, simple repartition did not the job, obviously old configurations did influence and block the new one.

1. OS X - El Capitan

BIOS settings:
· load optimized values (in Exit menu)
· in boot menu
o disable CSM
o in secure boot select OS type “Other OS”
o in secure boot/Key Management delete Platform key (PK Management) to disable secure boot
· in advanced menu
o in menu System Agent Configuration disable VT-d
o in menu USB Legacy USB Support and XHCI Hand-off both enabled

Then create with Unibeast and El Capitan a bootable USB stick and load NVMe kext driver into EFI partition of the stick (using EFI Mount v3).

Boot with USB stick, in Clover menu select external. With disk utility partition whole drive for HFS+ journaled, and install El Capitan there.

After completing basic set up questions from Apple (skip Internet!), restart with Clover from HFS drive (not External anymore). Now copy Multibeast and Clover configurator to desktop, eject USB. Mount EPS (EFI Partition), run Multibeast with:

· Quick Start: UEFI Boot Mode
· Drivers: Audio: Realtek ALC 1150 (& 530 HDMI Audio), Misc: FakeSMC v6.18, Network: Intel IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d3, USB: Increase Max Port Limit
· Bootloaders: Clover v2.3k r3423 UEFI Boot Mode
· Customize: Graphics Configuration: Intel HD 530, System Definitions: Mac Pro 3,1
· Build: Install (on HFS+ partition)

After that change the rights for the Ethernet kext in Terminal:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext (mind the space between wheel and /Library!).

Now restart (again from HFS+) and activate Ethernet. El Capitan works.

2. Windows 10
First change with a partition manager the NVMe drive on the computer: reduce the HFS+ partition and create a NTFS partition for Windows. Then install with bootable USB stick with Windows 10 and run installation.

Windows will add to existing EPS, Clover will recognize and add to the boot options. In the BIOS you see now two bootloaders:
· UEFI OS (Clover)
· Windows Boot Manager

As long the UEFI OS is the first in the Boot Priority Clover will start first and there you can choose between OS X and Windows.

What doesn’t work so far (help highly appreciated):
· Audio: OS X finds no device (I used Realtek ALC 1150 in Multibeast but nothing). I got lost in the troubleshooting section here on tonymacx86.
· during booting OS X the Apple logo gets shadowed, then even blacks out, however this is a very minor problem, later graphics works fine
· after suspending system freezes doesn't come back anymore

See attached config-generate.plist and bootlog.log.txt

Attachments

• bootlog.log.txt
    15.1 KB · Views: 269
  • config-generate.plist
    12.5 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Addition:
After I tried hard to solve the "no audio device" issue, I managed to destroy my setup and had to start all over again. Then something strange happened: I started from a clean disk but the reboot after multibeast didn't work anymore, got me to the stop sign.

With boot option -v in Clover I could see what is (not) happening. But finally the simple trick to copy the Clover folder from the unibeast USB to the EPS on the disk solved the issue.

Although I couldn't install anymore Windows, since it rejected the freed partition as MBR (and not GPT). I couldn't solve this issue, so went back to first install Windows and after OS X.

Here I had a (small problem): When I tried to mount EPS (from disk not USB) I got an error message. Had to mount first EPS from USB and only then could mount the one from disk (still get a message "Unexpected disk identifier" but Continue button is accepted). Had to rename the EPS from "No Name" (given by windows installation) to "EFI" in order to make audio_cloverALC-110.command working (wouldn't find EPS otherwise), which fixed my audio problem.

The dual boot worked with the trick to replace the bootmgfw.efi (in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/) with CLOVERX64.efi from COVER folder.

Finally removed Clover boot options in Clover Configurator/Gui unticking Legacy option in Scan box.

Now will see if I can fix hibernating.

Thanks to all the great contributors here to make this cool thing work!

First change with a partition manager the NVMe drive on the computer:

I was wondering, what did you use to resize the Mac HFS partition and create the NTFS one inbetween installs? Is it okay to do it with Disk Utility or do you use another program?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Actually in my final installation I started with windows 10 created a NTFS partition, which I reduced then and created a HFS+ partition with partition manager from paragon. This partition I erased and recreated then with OS X disk utility.

on what resolution do you run your hackintosh? curious if 1440 or 4k works through internal graphics on a hack.

also for audio you found the fix I was about to suggest (i use the same mainboard) but I would like to add that you should not install any additional audio driver (use only the ones that install automatically in the device manager) on your windows partition because that will cause the audio on your mac partition to fail.

on what resolution do you run your hackintosh? curious if 1440 or 4k works through internal graphics on a hack.

also for audio you found the fix I was about to suggest (i use the same mainboard) but I would like to add that you should not install any additional audio driver (use only the ones that install automatically in the device manager) on your windows partition because that will cause the audio on your mac partition to fail.

My monitor only has HD, so can't tell if 4k would work.
Thx for the hint about audio. Haven't installed anything on top (what could it be?) so no problems.

First time around when you installed OSX first, did windows 10 setup complain it can't install to drive when trying to install on the ntfs partition?

I built a really cute but powerful system in a In-Win 901 Mini-ITX case. Thermal situation remains to be seen. NVMe drive gets rather hot (40-50), there is no fan nearby. And maybe later I will add a graphics card, this for sure will challenge the whole cooling system.

Configuration
- ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming Mini-ITX
- i7 6700K with Noctua NH-D9L (110 mm high)
- 2x 8 GB HyperX Fury (2.666 MHz)
- m.2 NVMe PCI 3.0 Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB
- IN-WIN 901 with 2 Noctua fans (NF-F12 and NF-A9 both PWM)

I was worried that the 950 Pro is too advanced to use it as boot drive. Also the BIOS doesn’t seem to recognize the drive (however not sure where I should see it there). But quite the opposite, the systems boots and this incredible fast (at least windows, OS X is ok)

Windows 10 recognized and formatted the drive right away. Just afterwards to install El Capitan turned out (at least for me) as impossible. I could install OS X (however had to use different disk utility for partitioning as the apple one did not recognize the drive correctly) but the BIOS did not recognize the Clover EFI bootloader, although it was on the EPS - BIOS only offered the Windows Boot Manager for booting. To boot with Clover I had to use a USB stick with Clover installed (like Unibeast).

The other way around works: First install OS X then Win 10. Interesting fact: For a new installation I had to wipe clean the drive, simple repartition did not the job, obviously old configurations did influence and block the new one.

1. OS X - El Capitan

BIOS settings:
· load optimized values (in Exit menu)
· in boot menu
o disable CSM
o in secure boot select OS type “Other OS”
o in secure boot/Key Management delete Platform key (PK Management) to disable secure boot
· in advanced menu
o in menu System Agent Configuration disable VT-d
o in menu USB Legacy USB Support and XHCI Hand-off both enabled

Then create with Unibeast and El Capitan a bootable USB stick and load NVMe kext driver into EFI partition of the stick (using EFI Mount v3).

Boot with USB stick, in Clover menu select external. With disk utility partition whole drive for HFS+ journaled, and install El Capitan there.

After completing basic set up questions from Apple (skip Internet!), restart with Clover from HFS drive (not External anymore). Now copy Multibeast and Clover configurator to desktop, eject USB. Mount EPS (EFI Partition), run Multibeast with:

· Quick Start: UEFI Boot Mode
· Drivers: Audio: Realtek ALC 1150 (& 530 HDMI Audio), Misc: FakeSMC v6.18, Network: Intel IntelMausiEthernet v2.1.0d3, USB: Increase Max Port Limit
· Bootloaders: Clover v2.3k r3423 UEFI Boot Mode
· Customize: Graphics Configuration: Intel HD 530, System Definitions: Mac Pro 3,1
· Build: Install (on HFS+ partition)

After that change the rights for the Ethernet kext in Terminal:
sudo chown -R root:wheel /Library/Extensions/IntelMausiEthernet.kext (mind the space between wheel and /Library!).

Now restart (again from HFS+) and activate Ethernet. El Capitan works.

2. Windows 10
First change with a partition manager the NVMe drive on the computer: reduce the HFS+ partition and create a NTFS partition for Windows. Then install with bootable USB stick with Windows 10 and run installation.

Windows will add to existing EPS, Clover will recognize and add to the boot options. In the BIOS you see now two bootloaders:
· UEFI OS (Clover)
· Windows Boot Manager

As long the UEFI OS is the first in the Boot Priority Clover will start first and there you can choose between OS X and Windows.

What doesn’t work so far (help highly appreciated):
· Audio: OS X finds no device (I used Realtek ALC 1150 in Multibeast but nothing). I got lost in the troubleshooting section here on tonymacx86.
· during booting OS X the Apple logo gets shadowed, then even blacks out, however this is a very minor problem, later graphics works fine
· after suspending system freezes doesn't come back anymore

See attached config-generate.plist and bootlog.log.txt
Addition:
After I tried hard to solve the "no audio device" issue, I managed to destroy my setup and had to start all over again. Then something strange happened: I started from a clean disk but the reboot after multibeast didn't work anymore, got me to the stop sign.

With boot option -v in Clover I could see what is (not) happening. But finally the simple trick to copy the Clover folder from the unibeast USB to the EPS on the disk solved the issue.

Although I couldn't install anymore Windows, since it rejected the freed partition as MBR (and not GPT). I couldn't solve this issue, so went back to first install Windows and after OS X.

Here I had a (small problem): When I tried to mount EPS (from disk not USB) I got an error message. Had to mount first EPS from USB and only then could mount the one from disk (still get a message "Unexpected disk identifier" but Continue button is accepted). Had to rename the EPS from "No Name" (given by windows installation) to "EFI" in order to make audio_cloverALC-110.command working (wouldn't find EPS otherwise), which fixed my audio problem.

The dual boot worked with the trick to replace the bootmgfw.efi (in /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/) with CLOVERX64.efi from COVER folder.

Finally removed Clover boot options in Clover Configurator/Gui unticking Legacy option in Scan box.

Now will see if I can fix hibernating.

Thanks to all the great contributors here to make this cool thing work!

how were you able to rename the EPS from "NO NAME" back to "EFI"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back