Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Little help please

If anyone has any experiance with getting this setup or similar to work that would be great!

I'm trying to run 2 (two) evga 9800 gt cards for use with 4 monitors with 10.6.5 but when i put the second card in, the system freezes on boot. I've got sound, audio, and ethernet all working using the easy install and kexts built into multibeast.

Here is the setup

i7 920 2.6ghz
12gb ram
eVGA X58 micro
(2) eVGA 9800 GT

I understand that I need to use a DSTD file but I have never done this before and I'm sort of lost. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

muscanto said:
Little help please

If anyone has any experiance with getting this setup or similar to work that would be great!

I'm trying to run 2 (two) evga 9800 gt cards for use with 4 monitors with 10.6.5 but when i put the second card in, the system freezes on boot. I've got sound, audio, and ethernet all working using the easy install and kexts built into multibeast.

Here is the setup

i7 920 2.6ghz
12gb ram
eVGA X58 micro
(2) eVGA 9800 GT

I understand that I need to use a DSTD file but I have never done this before and I'm sort of lost. Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

You can use the string method in your com.apple.Boot.plist search on "aquamac efi strings" without the " and you should get directions for a single card at that site. For a double card take the first in system one out after first getting its PCIRoot to get the proper PCIRoot for the second and create a duplicate entry in the in.plist with this second PCIRoot then convert it to the hex needed according to instructions using the gfxutil program.

I have a smilar question.

I currently have a NVidia 9800 GTX+ fully working. If I were to get a second 9800 GTX+, what would I have to do for it to work? I know SL doesn't use SLI, so do I need to connect the cards in any way? Would I need to use the aquamac method you stated above? The primary use for this would be to run a third monitor.

Thanks for any help! :)

cpukid said:
I have a smilar question.

I currently have a NVidia 9800 GTX+ fully working. If I were to get a second 9800 GTX+, what would I have to do for it to work? I know SL doesn't use SLI, so do I need to connect the cards in any way? Would I need to use the aquamac method you stated above? The primary use for this would be to run a third monitor.

Thanks for any help! :)

Yes the same method and no connection between the cards as it will not be used.

The first video card works fully with NV inject. The part I'm confused about is what I need to edit to get the system to recognize the second card, can I open the boot.plist and duplicate the entry for the first card but just change the root PCI info? The bios does not support changing the default card to PEG2 (so keep that in mind)

muscanto said:
The first video card works fully with NV inject. The part I'm confused about is what I need to edit to get the system to recognize the second card, can I open the boot.plist and duplicate the entry for the first card but just change the root PCI info? The bios does not support changing the default card to PEG2 (so keep that in mind)

Well hopefully it will boot with the second card in that slot without the first. To get it going presuming the machine will indeed boot without the first card you need to take the file I have made from the 9800GT 512mb file I downloaded from the link below. Using the gfxutil inside the archive with the first slot card in you use in the Terminal.app.

Code:
./gfxutil -f display

In the directory where you have extracted the archive to easy way to do this open the Terminal.app then with Finder open showing the extracted directory type in the Terminal.app cd then drag and drop the directory from Finder hit the enter key and you will be in that directory where the command will work. You want to edit the in.plist with the numbers you see for the first entry for the PciRoot you see at the top of the file. Now you save the file reboot with second card in second slot use the same procedure to get its PciRoot to put in the second entry midway down in the file. Then once the file is saved in Terminal.

Code:
./gfxutil -i xml -o hex ./in.plist ./out.hex

This will get you the long line of number/letters needed to put in the com.apple.Boot.plist with an entry of two lines like this.

Code:
<key>device-properties</key>
<string>long line of number/letters needed</string>

Once you have saved the Boot.plist file you need to reboot having removed the nvinject and rebuilt the cache for it to work.

http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... thread=509

Attachments

• gfxutil 512 MB 9800 GT Dual.zip
    31.4 KB · Views: 64
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back