1. iMac
  2. MacBook
  3. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello there!
I'm currently trying to convince my dad to go for a hackintosh that I would build and set-up for him, rather than an iMac, Trashcan or even the old 2014 Mac Mini.
He currently uses a 2011 Mac Mini for his daily business and recently moved from analog photography into digital photo editing
(He bought himself a 4K Professional Monitor and a photo printer). He complains about the slow the speed of his machine (office-work and web-browsing, not to mention photoshop work @4k)
I thought about building him a hackintosh because of the rather cheap possibility to upgrade it after a couple of years, the bigger flexibility and of course the lower price [compared to the trashcan, iMac 5k]
Because he would use his potential hackintosh also for his own business, we are concerned about stability. So that's why I'd need help from you guys. I've already got a part list, but I'm not 100% sure about it. Maybe there are options that are more stable and cheaper.
So what I'm looking for is:
  1. Stability (as far as possible with a hackintosh
  2. Dualboot with Windows (my dad needs it for business)
  3. A bit overkill so we don't have to upgrade for at least 4-5 years
  4. Performance for still image editing at 4K [his camera produces files that are around 100-150 Megabyte big]
  5. [tiny bit of video editing if he lets me use it, but that's not really important]
Parts (excluding PSU, case, fans, etc.)
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI + Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 (or equivalent)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K, 4x 4.00GHz
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB or 32GB
  • Storage: 2x Crucial MX300 525GB or 1x Crucial MX300 1TB (depends on dual-boot stability)
  • GPU: RX580, RX560 or RX550 if the iGPU can't drive two 4k screens (I'm pretty sure the iGPU can't handle it)

Hello there!

• Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI + Broadcom BCM94352Z DW1560 (or equivalent)
  • Storage: 2x Crucial MX300 525GB or 1x Crucial MX300 1TB (depends on dual-boot stability)
  • GPU: RX580, RX560 or RX550 if the iGPU can't drive two 4k screens (I'm pretty sure the iGPU can't handle it)

Sorry Kind of late reply,
If you are looking for fast boot & Price to Performance King!!!
Following parts are suggestion from my side:
Graphics Card::
Sapphire NITRO+ AMD RX580 8G (Same price of RX480) but 10% Clock Boost. Installation procedure & Kext patches remain same.
Buy AMD cards if use Final Cut Pro, or just go with NVIDIA you will happy.
or
NVIDIA GTX1070 (Any Brand is OK), if your work flow is Adobe based products.
Wifi+BT combo ::
Replace the Onboard Wifi with Broadcom BCM94360CS2 (New) (1.2 Mbps) Wifi (if the Case is ATX).

Since your Mobo Choice support M.2:
Samsung SM951 256G M.2 AHCI PCI-E SSD (Part Number MZ-HPV256HDGM) focus on AHCI, it is natively supported in Apple & Blazing fast.

I'm not a fan of Dual Boot because it randomly rattles the Hackintosh. Suggest to go for Dual Disk Dual Boot Option
First Install Mac OS.
Unplug the Mac Disk (This is important)
Now Install Windows
Shutdown and Connect both drives and choose from Clover when you want to boot.

Please let me know if you need more information. Thank me if you want to :)

Thanks man!
I ordered all of the parts and they're probably coming on Friday.
I went for:
  • Gigabyte Z170N-Gaming 5 (the wifi board throttles CPU)
  • Intel Core i7-6700K
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB
  • 2 SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
  • Sapphire RX580
I also got a BCM94360CS2 + Adaptor

I'll let you know when I run into problems!

I just built the machine. Windows 10 ist working flawlessly maybe a bit hot that's why I ordered some fans.
Mac runs but I need to enable the Rx 580 or internal GPU. Already managed to get the prohibited sign once :lol:

Hello there!
I'm currently trying to convince my dad to go for a hackintosh that I would build and set-up for him, rather than an iMac, Trashcan or even the old 2014 Mac Mini.
He currently uses a 2011 Mac Mini for his daily business and recently moved from analog photography into digital photo editing
(He bought himself a 4K Professional Monitor and a photo printer). He complains about the slow the speed of his machine (office-work and web-browsing, not to mention photoshop work @4k)
I thought about building him a hackintosh because of the rather cheap possibility to upgrade it after a couple of years, the bigger flexibility and of course the lower price [compared to the trashcan, iMac 5k]
Because he would use his potential hackintosh also for his own business, we are concerned about stability. So that's why I'd need help from you guys. I've already got a part list, but I'm not 100% sure about it. Maybe there are options that are more stable and cheaper.
So what I'm looking for is:
  1. Stability (as far as possible with a hackintosh
  2. Dualboot with Windows (my dad needs it for business)
  3. A bit overkill so we don't have to upgrade for at least 4-5 years
  4. Performance for still image editing at 4K [his camera produces files that are around 100-150 Megabyte big]
  5. [tiny bit of video editing if he lets me use it, but that's not really important]
1. If the motherboard has an WIFI adapter, you don't need an extra one from Broadcom. But I still recommend a wired connection.

2. At least 32GB RAM is required. If budget allowed, go for 64GB. I recommend Corsair for its lifetime warranty.

3. You need to install macOS and Windows on a separate disk and disable access from Windows to macOS for security reason.

4. For AMD graphics cards, they do have native support for macOS, but you will need a strong PSU(at least 750W) and a good cooling environment.

I just built the machine. Windows 10 ist working flawlessly maybe a bit hot that's why I ordered some fans.
Mac runs but I need to enable the Rx 580 or internal GPU. Already managed to get the prohibited sign once.
Please start a new support thread in Sierra Desktop support or graphics for any help you need with the install. This is a Buying advice only part of the Forum. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back