Contribute
Register

DSDT - what are the *essential* edits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
karacho said:
JasonTechie said:
hi, i followed what you've instructed and it compile my DSDT without errors.

can i now use my DSDT.aml if ever i reinstall my Mac OS X Snow Leopard? cuz i used Easy-Beast before cuz i can't find DSDT that is compatible with my motherboard.
Yes you can use this DSDT...but just for that Build. But don't install Easybeast if you want to use the DSDT

ok thank you for the reply :)

i have a DSDT for my motherboard now hehe :)

can i upload it to DSDT database?

Biggyskittle said:
No problem! Let me know if you have any more questions about it.

Thank you :¬)

New P67 board arrives this week (MSI G65, this Asus likes to power down randomly), I'll be following your guide at the weekend.

moshymoshy said:
Could someone explain to me what technically happens when the .aml file is read by the OS/bootloader.

Does it write to the BIOS/CMOS?
In easy words...the OSX kernel don't understand the original Bios code. DSDT.aml is an extracted, modified Bios just stored in a file and chameleon tells the kernel to use this file instead of the original Bios. Your original Bios remains untouched. If you don't use an DSDT and don't installs some additional kexts (for example by clicking Easybeast in Multibeast), OSX just restore your Bios to the default settings and you're not able to boot your system any longer (even if you try to boot with iBoot). If that happens you have to set your Bios again to the recommended settings

OSX just restore your Bios to the default settings

Do you mean OSX itself sometimes writes to the computer's BIOS...?

I have definitely encountered a broken/corrupt BIOS after doing a UserDSDT install, that's the reason I ask.

Also don't worry about putting it into 'easy language' for me :) I'm pretty hardcore. Be as technical as you like :)

So something IS writing to the BIOS then if it's resetting it default.

Why would Mac OS itself do this? It doesn't know anything about BIOS, being designed to sit on an EFI based system... it must be Chameleon doing it, no?

Sorry, I'm still not able to get my head round what mechanism is setting BIOSes back to their defaults if it isn't the user himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back