Gigabyte B360N WIFI
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
HD 630
Mac
Mac Pro
Hi guys,

I'm pretty fresh to hack mac world. However I was already able to craft fully functional i5-4670K + Z87-Plus, i5-8600K + Z370n Wifi and less functional i3-8100 + B360n Wifi (got all working but on iMac 14,2 SMBIOS) (now working on i3-8100 + B360M-ITX/AC). I've already bumped into UniBeast + MultiBeast and FBPatcher.

However recently I've heard about DSDT. I'm reading about it and starting believing that with proper diagnostic tool, all hardware at hand I'm able to force any motherboard (mobo) and device on it to work on Mac as long as that device is also supported on the driver side (which implies that such hardware has physical capabilities too) within macOS (like WiFi + Bluetooth or dGPU cards). I would like to ask you to acknowledge that my thinking is correct. Also I would like to spit everything I know up to date and ask you to help me to properly settle DSDT in that big picture. So here it is:

0 - Bare metal
1 - BIOS - as software for bare metal
A - SMBIOS - some kind of DSDT which is specific set of hardware for Apple computers? if chosen on yours comp, doesn't have to reflect actual stuff you have in yours mobo?
B - DSDT - true listing of yours stuff from mobo? (or rather ACPI layer)
2 - EFI - boot partition with Clover which is able to bootstrap anything before loading Mac OS?
C - DSDT Patches - how it is able to provide any change to/cooperation with the actual bare metal and stuff expected by Mac OS?!
3 - macOS - cool operating system with kernel under the hood - the software foundation
4 - Extensions aka kexts - extensions to kernel (what exactly is this doing? is this some kind of drivers? why macOS also is using kexts instead of drivers? or maybe this are some kind of customization on top of drivers?)
5 - Drivers - software for hardware on kernel level - so tightly coupled with macOS?
6 - Applications - software for user, so he can do some creative stuff for the human being

D - So we have now UniBeast which do something (prepares kexts? does DSDT patches? makes EFI on USB stick? puts modified/unmodified installation package?) to make installation process run smoothly
E - MultiBeast - no brain tool which installs something (what exactly? DSDT patches? drivers? kexts? please clarify the field of operation of each one... Drivers are actually programs which have bunch of algorithms which are applied to hardware and exposed to the system, so system can do cool stuff with it. Kexts - what the hell? Patches are only changing something on something existing????)

F - The next question is. Why only Z boards are the one working flawless? I noticed that whenever I use B series, I'm struggling with problems. Why? Is this caused by fact that you hacker don't mind with cheap stuff which often miss some crucial functionalities like display ports, thunderbolt or others? And you prefer to have Z series tests as proof of concept?

From my perspective if we have DSDT which is some kind of listing what we have then there should be an option to do that "MultiBeast" step without even selecting anything (we don't have to care about SMBIOS, Audio Codec or Ports layout). It will just go through the list of stuff and apply patches (whatever it is, not sure what exactly the patches are). Moreover for such big community of Hackintoshers I see that is pretty easy to get DSDT for almost any MOBO (motherboard). I already own few motherboards. Is there any universal algorithm for such DSDT patching? Like - if you have A or B do C, if C do E? From where you get that knowledge?

G - Another question is what is the role of System Integrity Protection? Turning it off is considered as bad customization? I have noticed that sometimes someone advice to turn off that before installing some kext. With DSDT am I able to have SIP always enabled?

H - Next question. Are there any steps which are considered unrecoverable in terms of action? But still recoverable with backup? Like time machine copy of the system (is EFI backed up too?)? If I do a copy of DSDT, can I do then modifications and recover it in case of some failure (I've read that Clover is able to deliver own version of DSDT for macOS, so there is no need for modifying original one)

Last edited by a moderator: