- Oct 23, 2010
- RX 580
- Mobile Phone
Do this:Hey guys,
I'm a bit lost when it comes to techniques to get proper working AMD RX 580 with sleep/wake. I read on the interwebs; Whatervergreen and Lilu with personalities, framebuffer injection, kext-patching, DSDT-patching, SSDT-patching. Not using Whatevergreen. I'm totally lost. I don't know what is best practice today. I prefer DSDT/SSDT-patching.
I've got a Gigabyte Z87M-D3H Mobo, use Identity imac-14.2 and a Sapphire RX 580 8GB (with 2x DP, 2x HDMI and DVI-D. Think this is personality= Orinoco). I've dumped ACPI-tables with Clover (and later with Patchmatic).
- Whatevergreen + Lilu doesn't work with Clover framebuffer personalities. A get artifacts on background of DP-screen. Second screen with HDMI doesn't work but is recognized in macOS Mojave > stays black though.
- The DSDT-patch that did the best trick is "has=dsdt-ami-8_series_hdmi_audio.txt" (it's a laptop-patch) alongside with setting igpu to primary in BIOS. But sometimes video/system just crash. Or doesn't wake or doesn't boot. igpu is now recognized in Mojave, second screen works. Don't use Whatevergreen and Clover personalities. Sometimes second screen doesn't work and sometimes primary screen doesn't work > stays black. Have to do reattach cable.
- Then did some reading on Insanelymac and here about "Tracing back the AMD GPU wakeup issue to its origin" and "Radeons Compatibility Guide - ATI/AMD Graphic Cards". Maybe I shouldn't patch DSDT for IGPU and GFX0 but SSDT-1-SaSsdt.aml. I'm not sure though. The unpatched DSDT (with patchmatic) contains device PEG0.PEGP and GFX0. DSDT.aml shows in External _SB_.PCIE.IGPU.xxx and _SB_.PCIE.PEGP.GFX0.xxx. I'm not sure what this means.
Who is willing to give me some pointers....
I've attached original APCI-tables dumped with Patchmatic. Also included Clover's config.plist.
- Attach your screens to RX580 (not to the motherboard)
- Copy the latest Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext into EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other
- Delete your EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched/*.aml (i.e. your dsdt and ssdt aml files)
- Copy the attached jambek2003-MacNB-config.plist to EFI/CLOVER
- Reboot and enter BIOS
- In BIOS, set the RX580 as the PRIMARY GPU
- In BIOS, set the Intel GPU as secondary, or ENABLED (not AUTO).
- Save BIOS settings and reboot into Clover Menu
- In Clover Menu and hit O (for Options)
- arrow down to config->
- arrow down to jambek2003-MacNB-config and press enter
- arrow down to Return
- arrow down to Return (again to ensure new config is used) back to the main Clover menu
- Hit Enter to boot.
- Setup all your ports (2x DP, 2x HDMI and 1xDVI)
- setup IGPU and GFX0 in the ACPI tables
- Setup Radeon framebuffer (nothing wrong with it and no need for Orinoco)
- Inject Intel=Yes to enable the following settings:
- IntelGFX to 0x04128086
- ig-platform-id to 0x04120004 (connectorless)
- PluginType=Yes to enable proper power management
- Clean SMBIOS (you can put your own Serial, Board-serial & UUID but it's not necessary for testing)