Contribute
Register

DSDT from Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks. I'll start messing with it. My experimental board is an Asus P5Q Pro Turbo on which I run Linux and Windows already, but can mess with it. I have three different Gigabyte Boards working fine. I'll extract their bios natively and compare it to the edited DSDTs for a little learning experience. After reading your blog, I am getting a glimmer of understanding on how all this works.

I am still curious as to how people know what to edit it to, since Apple apparently implements the ACPI standard in a "non-standard" fashion. I presume you can extract the DSDT from a running Mac and compare it?? I seriously doubt that their specifications are published given their proprietary nature.

Thanks for the info.

tofuconfetti said:
I am still curious as to how people know what to edit it to, since Apple apparently implements the ACPI standard in a "non-standard" fashion.
Why did you state this? Where have you seen this documented?

I've analyzed Apple's DSDT extracts and have never seen anything "non-standard". I've seen more "non-standard" implementations from major motherboard producers.

It was listed in one of the Wiki articles I read. I've been to so many links today, I am afraid I cannot point you to it at the moment. Could they be referring to the fact that Apple names things differently? That is why you end up renaming them, correct? Right now, I'm just reading and trying to get a handle on the big picture. I'm definitely not trying to mislead anyone.

tofuconfetti said:
It was listed in one of the Wiki articles I read. I've been to so many links today, I am afraid I cannot point you to it at the moment. Could they be referring to the fact that Apple names things differently? That is why you end up renaming them, correct? Right now, I'm just reading and trying to get a handle on the big picture. I'm definitely not trying to mislead anyone.
Actually I've found Apple's names to be better and more informative than what the other manufacturers use. You can see an example of some of the names in my blog article on "New Minimal DSDT Edits".

I read it. It was very informative. What I am now going to do is compare the extracted version (did it under linux) with the modified version in light of your article. I'm sure that will start to explain it somewhat. The big picture is slowly sinking in. :)

Thanks RayMackx64 and a special thanks to MacMan for the simplified Terminal edit of this process. I've just extracted my first DSDT. I will now learn how to edit and use the dsdt.aml for my set up using the Mac OS X app DSDTSE :)

RayMacx64 said:
Then enter

Code: cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

If permissions denied enter

Code: sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

Now you'll have it on your desktop.

since Ubuntu 11.04 the directory has changed to

/sys/firmware/acpi/tables/DSDT

MacMan said:
You don't have to do everything that RayMacx64 says to do. Here is an edited down version.

Download Ubuntu Live CD from ubuntu web site, burn and boot from CD. You'll be in Ubuntu 9.10 desktop. Default user is ubuntu and home folder is /home/ubuntu.

From top menu bar, accessories (system) launch terminal and type:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

Now you'll have it in your home folder.

You can save it to a USB flash drive and transfer to OSX for future editing.
i just tried this with current ubuntu (11.10) and it doesn't work.

Code:
cat: /proc/acpi/dsdt: No such file or directoy

Sorry, I didn't have answer for your q.

But I think following two commands are also useful, though I still do not know how to use them to edit DSDT.

Code:
sudo dmesg > ~/dmesg.txt
sudo lspci -vvv > ~/lscpi.txt

jimdrake said:
MacMan said:
You don't have to do everything that RayMacx64 says to do. Here is an edited down version.

Download Ubuntu Live CD from ubuntu web site, burn and boot from CD. You'll be in Ubuntu 9.10 desktop. Default user is ubuntu and home folder is /home/ubuntu.

From top menu bar, accessories (system) launch terminal and type:

sudo cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > dsdt.aml

Now you'll have it in your home folder.

You can save it to a USB flash drive and transfer to OSX for future editing.
i just tried this with current ubuntu (11.10) and it doesn't work.

Code:
cat: /proc/acpi/dsdt: No such file or directoy
:banghead: should have read post right above mine!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back