CPU
i7-3770K @ 4,4GHz
Graphics
GTX 670
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I will start my 2nd G5 Mod in the near future.
For this project I will use the knowledge I got from my first mod and all the great inspiration from you!

My plans are:
- almost inaudible cooling
- keep the components dust free
- two 3,5" HDDs + two 2,5" SSDs in the upper part
- 120mm fan in the back
- mATX MB
- two 140mm fans in the front with simple detachable dust filters. Easy access after opening the G5 side panel
- no blocking of the airstream -> better GPU cooling -> quieter cooling (biggest issue of my first mod, maybe I should reactivate the water cooling)
- mod a PSU to fit inside the G5 PSU case

What I already have:
- 2x 140mm Enermax Cluster fans (front)
- 2x 140mm fan dust filters
- 1x 80mm Enermax Cluster fan (HDD Tray)
- 1x 120mm eLoop-P (back)
- Lian Li HDD tray for two SATA drives, I hope this can fit @ the G5 HDD tray location
- late 2004 G5 case with front panel and a G5 PSU case
- mATX 120mm LaserHive kit
- mATX mainboard (Asus P8Z77-M Pro)
- Seasonix X-560 PSU. This baby is working fanless up to 200Watts of load
- 4x 400x200x3mm black acrylic glass

For the two 140mm fans in the front I will use the acrylic glass and create a 4 layer front panel.
The acrylic glass will be laser cutted at my local university for free (FabLab + bring your own material + bring the vector graphic files = you can make an appointment for 1h and use every machine).

The first two layers will keep the dust filters in place, which is also hold my four magnets/filter.
The third and fourth layer will contain the magnets for the filters, more magnets to apply some stability to front by holding on the PSU case and the screws to attach the 140mm fans.

The second layer will be opend to the accessible G5 side and by that the filters can be removed.

Any pics coming soon?

With those big 140's and filters to match, you might as well sell your vacuum cleaner!

Waiting to see this one get off the ground. Will be watching....

Ersterhernd

Any pics coming soon?

I am currently having a lot to do in my master studies, but the lasercutting will be done tomorrow! Pictures will come ;)

With those big 140's and filters to match, you might as well sell your vacuum cleaner!

True ;)
But even my old MacPro 1.1 has been a enormous dust magnet. For a quiet and powerful machine are big and slow fans the best option (imho). The two 120mm fans in my current mod are also dragging a lot of dust into the machine. Washable filters should be the best option to fight the dust :)

The fan panel is done. The laser cutting itself was extremly fast!

Many thanks to my local university RWTH Aachen for offering a free laser cutting to anybody!

I made a video of the cutting, but unfortunately the quality is not good, because of reflections and the black material.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQrsUJe_3tM

The result of all plates is exactly as I imagined them.
The only downside is that I made too many "safety dimensions" (like +0,5mm extra cutting) to make sure it fits for sure.

Pictures:

cutting
IMG_1534.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1540.jpg

All four layer:
IMG_1544.jpg

Test mounting with fan, screws and magnets inside:
IMG_1545.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

The filter gap:
IMG_1548.jpg

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

Inside the G5:
IMG_1552.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

Thank you guys!
Unfortunately I'm extremly busy right now with studies (presentations, reports, homework, exams…), so the bigger updates for the mod will start in 2 weeks ;)

I will change my plan of using 4 layer on the fan frame and remove the one on top of the filters. That layer was supposed to hold the filters in position, but the filters have magnets glued on it and I managed to place also some magnets inside the first frame (underneath the fans). These magnets will keep the filter in place and make it even easier the remove the filters, because there will not be the 4. layer on top.

Gluing the frames together will be done in the near future, after that I will start putting in the LaserHive mATX kit and start to finish the PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back