Contribute
Register

Dschijn's 2nd G5 Mod - dust free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I attached 3 wires to the PCB holes, wich have a metal ring and had been screwed to the original housing, to the case/ground wire. That should be it.
The glued screws are holding on the case extremly good.

All the necessary cables for mainboard, gpu, drives… are fitting throw the orignal holes. But I think they are too long.

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

Ok, I attached 3 wires to the PCB holes, wich have a metal ring and had been screwed to the original housing, to the case/ground wire. That should be it. The glued screws are holding on the case extremly good.
Looking at you pictures, can I make one other (safety) observation. You appear (might be wrong) to to be using brown packing tape around the internal AC socket to protect the wires. Brown packing tape is not really designed for electrical insulation, and will degrade over time especially sitting next to a warm PSU. I would replace it with proper electrical tape that you can get at any hardware store.

And if you want to be absolutely certain, I would line the inside of the metal case with thin plastic sheet.

Have you tested the PSU?

Hehe, yes your eagle eyes can't be fooled! It's packing tape. It's not to protect the wires, but to protect the housing of that socket and I think it's also connect to the grounding wires.

Haven't tested the PSU yet. Want to try it with an old and crappy PC first

--Edit--

With an old mainboard the PSU and the mainboard + fans are starting. No sparks or flames ;)

--Edit-- With an old mainboard the PSU and the mainboard + fans are starting. No sparks or flames ;)
Glad to here it. PS. You forgot 'explosions' from your list ;)

Today I teared down my old G5 for all the components. I reused most of it except for the mainboard, PSU, case fans and HDD tray.

IMG_1657.jpg

First impression of half a year without cleaning the CPU cooler:

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1653.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1655.jpg

So that really shows, how important the filters will be for my setup!

For the next step I had to flash my BIOS to make the ASUS board work in OSX. The flashing was very easy. Just a FAT32 formatted USB stick with the new BIOS files on it, plugged into the BIOS flashing USB port, connect 24&8 Pin power cables and press the flash button on the mainboard.

IMG_1656.jpg

During the assembling I tried to hide most of the cables under the mainboard and behind the PSU.
The final setup is pleasing me and it did boot / worked directly.

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

Next step will be the testing of the overclock in Windows and adjusting the fan curve. The ASUS BIOS settings for the fans are awesome!

Looks great but NEVER place your motherboard, or any computer part for that fact on one of those anti-static bags. They are designed to keep static away when stuff is INSIDE the box. Never ever ever place stuff on top of them.

Jeffinslaw

I installed some cardboard inside to guide more air from the top 140mm to the GPU fans. Results in 7-8°C better temperatures -> quieter system (GPU fans are now the noisyest part in the system).

Maybe I will laser that too into acrylic glass…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back