Contribute
Register

Dschijn's 2nd G5 Mod - dust free

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I took the top shelf apart and tested if the LianLi HDD tray will fit.
Luckly it does, but the higher HDD can't be slide in with the LianLi frame. In spite of all problems, I will go with this tray. The higher HDD can be slide in by attaching just two "slide" screws. The 2nd and lower HDD can be slide in normaly.

Yesterday I glued the frames for the front fans together and removed the protective film. Today I assembled everything again with the front panel cable of BlackCH (insanelymac).

Here a little movie showing how the filters can be attached. They slide in good and hold on to the magnets.
http://youtu.be/InOn-XLJzBo

IMG_1587.jpg

IMG_1588.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Today I took the top shelf apart and tested if the LianLi HDD tray will fit.
Luckly it does, but the higher HDD can't be slide in with the LianLi frame. In spite of all problems, I will go with this tray. The higher HDD can be slide in by attaching just two "slide" screws. The 2nd and lower HDD can be slide in normaly.
Any reason for not using the stock Apple HDD mounting frame in this location ? One thought about you handles, had you tried flipping them over (180 degrees), so the handle part is lower ? it might get around the space constraint.

PS Aachen, stayed there one Christmas, very pretty, but cold.

Any reason for not using the stock Apple HDD mounting frame in this location ? One thought about you handles, had you tried flipping them over (180 degrees), so the handle part is lower ? it might get around the space constraint.

PS Aachen, stayed there one Christmas, very pretty, but cold.

Yeah, I need to consider the G5 HDD frame again, but I like the hot swap ability. I will try the 180° flip now ;)

The last winter has been strong, luckly it's srping now >_<

Hey Dschijn, could you tell me where I can get this hot swap frame.
I really would like to use this frame, because my SATA cables are not very safe and I often need to take the drives with me to some people.

By the way, finally it's spring here in Leverkusen. BBQ season already started.

Looking good!

Have you tried fitting the Lian Li plate to the back of the G5 HD rack? Reason I ask is I think the distance between the disks (vertical) is 35mm and that the distance between the Lian Li connectors on their hotswap is also 35mm....(at least it is with the 3 SATA backplate they do). So if the 2 SATA backplate is the same then it might be an easy route for people to turn their Original G5 HD caddies into hot swap caddies.
I haven't had a chance to try this yet myself but it may just work....

Had the same idea yesterday, but almost forgot it because of my studies >_<
Thanks for reminding me ;)

You're welcome!

Only problem I can think of is maybe the extra depth caused by the connection board, but it might fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back