CPU
Skylake i5 3.2 GHZ
Graphics
EVGA GTX 970 SC
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've started planning my first Hackintosh build, and I'm wondering what people are doing to manage multiple drives.

In particular, I'm tempted to get an 128GB M.2 SSD and pair it with a 2TB HDD, but is this the best choice…

For others running several types of drives at once, how do you use them together? Do most folks use the faster M.2 or SSD as a boot drive, with a traditional HDD as file storage, or is it recommended/safe to combine an M.2 and HDD as a Fusion Drive in a Hackintosh, or something else?

I am presently only using HDDs. <Ooh, dejavu time...>

I wouldn't bother with a 128GB drive. You should never fill up over 85% of an SSD because of provisioning - you want spare space for cell replacement. When that 128GB gets to 100GB it'll be time to replace it, and eventually that 256GB is going to start to get filled, so you'll need to get a 512GB, etc. So why not start with a 480GB (Provisioning is built in) or a 512GB SSD? Lots of enthusiasts will probably start with 256GB SSDs.

Me, personally, I don't like the idea of the m.2 slot because it goes right on the mobo, which many times is hard to get to. I think they're great for NUC and mini-ITX PCs, though. But I'd rather stay with 2.5" and 3.5" drives since they are easy to remove and re-install. Besides, my mobo manual says that when a m.2 board is inserted the SATA Express ports gets turned off, and the SATA Express ports are controlled by a ASMedia chip, which means that it's one level removed from the Intel SATA controller. I'm not about to take the chance that I will have booting problems. The ASMedia chip also controls the USB 3.0 ports underneath my Intel Ethernet connection, so I don't use those either.

Hmm, maybe I shouldn't even have responded because I don't use SSDs. But I do use 4 HDDs, 1 for Windows, 2 for Linux, 1 for OSX. I am considering the Kingston HyperX 480GB SSD (or the Corsair Neutron XT480) though - for Linux. That's my prime OS, then OSX, lastly Windows. I would never install more than one OS on a drive. btdt, pita. And I'm not about to buy 3 SSDs...

In my opinion, M.2 drives are fantastic. I've been using one for well over a year as my boot drive and I would never go back. I have never experienced any negatives with using an M.2 drive, not a single problem. Here's what you can expect from an M.2 drive:
Screen Shot 2016-07-09 at 7.02.09 AM.png
I recently did a test. I unRARed two 45GB files simultaneously, once on my M.2 drive and once on a normal SSD on SATA 3.

My M.2 drive completed the task in: 6 minutes, 39 seconds
My Crucial SSD on SATA 3 took: 12 minutes, 10 seconds
I didn't bother trying on a standard hard drive as it would likely have taken hours.

To answer your question, I use my M.2 as my boot drive for OS X because I spend most of time in OS X. I have Windows installed on a separate SSD. I also have three standard 3.5" drives that I use for (1) Time Machine, (2) my iTunes library, and (3) junk files.

I have never considered using or have had any experience with Fusion drives so I can't comment on how they perform.

If you want to use an M.2 drive with OS X, it's recommended that you look for an AHCI version instead of NVMe because OS X has native support for AHCI versions. NVMe versions require the use of a separate driver.

Yeah, I have plenty of friends who say the same thing about 2.5" SSDs, that they will never go back to HDDs. On the other hand I have a friend who burns through an SSD at least once a year. He hasn't bought his Pro Book into the shop for me to look a it, though. As a technician I'm more concerned with reliability since I'm the guy who has to repair them.

I don't think he's lying. He uses his Pro Book to DJ at functions. It could very well be that TRIM isn't turned on and the SSD keeps getting slower over time, or he completely fills up his drive with music files and doesn't have any space for provisioning, or it could be that the drive is overheating, which could cause the SSD performance to degrade. All he sees is that the system gets slow and he decides to replace the drive. Since he's always in the field (AC repairman) I seldom get to talk to him.

@kiiroaka. I see the déjà vu aforementioned. I asked the same thing on my previous thread and considered your suggestions and have since updated my cart. Now I'm stuck on deciding on the GPU.

@illologist. M.2 is a great feature to have especially with video editing and as a boot drive, but that is something you can always upgrade in the future...once you get your system up and running. It really depends on your mobo as well. Thats the route I'm looking to go eventually (once I buy my parts and put it together...lol). Btw...what type of build are you building? Z170, x99, z97?

As a technician I am always installing new OSes, changing this, or changing that, trying this and that, upgrading this or downgrading that, etc.

If I had an m.2 SSD and I wanted to change the OS, I'd have to remove it and install a new one in it's place. For example, let's say that I want to audition Sierra, a different Linux distro (and I've tried a lot of them), W10, etc. In my case I disconnect the original drive, throw on a "new" drive, install the OS and play with it until I feel confident that everything works. The alternative would be to do an image backup (which should be done on a regular basis, anyway), blow away the OS with the new one, and copy over all the old files still on the image backup (Time Machine in the case of OSX) and if I didn't like it, for whatever reason, then I would need to blow it away and restore from the image.

If you have El Cap on m.2 and you want to audition Sierra, it wouldn't be fair to compare the slower Sierra speed and responsiveness running on a SSD or HDD to the speed and responsiveness of El Cap running on the m.2, no?

In the case of SSDs, consider where the drive is located. On certain cases they are held down under the right side cover. That makes it a little cumbersome, but probably not as cumbersome as other cases, so it's relative. But it isn't relative when it comes to swapping an m.2 because where it is held down could be important, just as important as having to remove a CPU cooler to change RAM. It's a major inconvenience if you have to remove a CPU cooler or video card. If you have to remove the CPU cooler to remove the m.2 you're in a world of hurt because it means completely disconnecting the PC cables, turning it on its side, removing the CPU cooler, changing the m.2, re-installing the cooler (with new thermal grease), buttoning it up and reconnecting all the cables (kb, mouse, NIC, sound, video, etc.) In this case it makes more sense to get as big (capacity) an m.2 as is possible, just as it makes sense to load up all the RAM slots with the max the mobo allows from the "get-go". Sure, you may not use all that RAM, "now". But chances are you won't be losing money in the long run by doing numerous upgrades once a year (which a lot of gamers do every time a new video card comes out.)

A uITX, NUC or MacMini, is a horse of a different colour, though, because it's much more convenient to change parts. Everything is right there since I don't have to bend over to remove cables from the rear of a micro, midi or full size case. It takes up minimal desk space. So if I want to change an m.2 SSD to try another OS all I need is a wrist strap, a non-conductive phillips screwdriver and a nonconductive parts holder. Yes, like all computer cases, some SFF, Small Form Factor cases, are easier to work on/in than others, just as some micro ITX cases are easier to work with than others.

Now I'm stuck on deciding on the GPU.

Having choices is always good. Now that the nVidia 1060 is out you have a cheaper AMD Radeon choice to consider. From a desirous point of view it makes sense to wait a little while for the OS to fully support it since going with a slower GPU is not a choice one is likely to consider when it comes to gaming, not when you can get more performance for less money than what is currently available. In the mean time one can keep reading all the reviews, watching YouTube videos, see what problems are being encountered by others, etc.

So you format/erase your main drive and install different operating systems to it all the time? Then when you're done messing around with these operating systems, you format/erase the drive again and re-install your main operating system and the software you use???

I'm so lazy about re-installing software, I haven't done a clean install of OS X in a decade.

No, I just remove the drive with the OS, install a new drive, install a new OS.

I'm saying that I can't do that as easily if I use an m.2 SSD.

If I were to want to install a new OS on an m.2 I would need to first make a backup image, install the new OS, and if I didn't like it I would then need to re-install the backed up image.

I always do a clean install of any OS. Migrating, installing over an old OS, could leave remnant files that could cause problems later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back