Contribute
Register

Drilling holes for ventilation in a MI-008 case (CustoMac Mini)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
CustoMac Mini
CPU
Intel i3-4360
Graphics
no graphics card
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I will begin building a CustoMac Mini as soon as my Motherboard is delivered. Completely followed the links from the Buyer's Guide, and got the CustoMac case: MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply.

In an Amazon review, a reviewer suggests drilling holes for ventilation. Is that necessary? The temperature in my house can reach 99 degrees in the summer without air conditioning.

I will begin building a CustoMac Mini as soon as my Motherboard is delivered. Completely followed the links from the Buyer's Guide, and got the CustoMac case: MI-008 Tower Black P4 Chassis with 250W Itx Psu+sata Power Supply.

In an Amazon review, a reviewer suggests drilling holes for ventilation. Is that necessary? The temperature in my house can reach 99 degrees in the summer without air conditioning.

In my humble opinion, the MI-008 is not a suitable case for a Hackintosh of any sort - there's simply not enough clearance between the CPU cooler and the power supply above it to allow for adequate cooling. If I were you, I'd return it and get something better, rather than drill holes in it.

I am starting to notice that. With all the wires (power supply wires, 2 SATA wires) near touching the cooler an the power supply a mere centimeter above the cooler blowing its hot air into the cooler, my CPU temperature on boot was 60 degrees C! This is brand new never been booted.

I got temperature down to 52 degrees C, but I see what all these other guys were able to get CPU temperatures of 35 degrees C. Jealous!

Thanks for the reply guys, I think I am going to place the case on its side and see if that helps CPU cooling air to rise into the front_panel cords instead of rising right into the Power Supply fan.

If that doesn't work, I would rather drill some neat design in the case touching on the side that is touching the PSU and turn the power supply over so that the heat from the Power Supply escapes out these holes. I'll post pictures if I ever get there,

Last edited:
Hi Juan,

What did you end up doing to keep the temperature down in this build?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back