Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
B365M Pro4
CPU
i5-9600
Graphics
Radeon HD4770
So having lurked on Tonymac for a while and with time on my hands and my stimulus check I've decided to Hack my SAwtooth G4.
My Question more so has been What Dremel Tool has everyone been using to cut the back panel for the ports? I've scoured the threads and everyone says they've used a Dremel, but nary a picture of it lol.

Is it the smaller Corded hand rotary tool that everyone's been using with a metal cutting blade?

Also what would be a good "sanding" burr to use to smooth down the edges once the metal has been cut?

Last edited:
a hand file will do wonders for you. also a set of smaller files for fixing little marks where the bigger file is not precise enough. I've use'd a black and decker rotary tool and it was fine, but an actually dremel 3000 or 4000 is such a better experience. In all honesty, any generic rotary tool will work, they just won't be as easy to work with as a dremel. The lock cutter discs work great.

I have both a Sawtooth G4 and a G5 case and I'm debating which one to Hack. The G5 case seems a bit easier at least for the pin-out for power and space overall, and yet the Sawtooth G4 just looks so much nicer.

For long cuts, the rotary tool takes a while and can create a ton of dust (metal and cutting tool). The other option is a jigsaw with a metal cutting blade. A 3/8" hole is usually enough to get you started in the middle of a flat spot.

I have used both tools for the steel mesh on the bottom of a G4 cube, and the jigsaw is much smoother and quicker. I use the jigsaw for aluminum as well. If the material is thinner or softer, just go slower.

faceplate_01.jpg

This one was done with the rotary tool. Lots of filing on the cleanup of edges.

Mac Pro Jr.jpg

This case was built entirely by using hand tools and a jigsaw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back