Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
AsRock X570M Pro4
CPU
Ryzen 3700x
Graphics
RX 580
I had a surprise today when I tried to connect a regular single pin connector to the Custom Solutions header on the DQ77KB. The connector was sloppy, as the pins on this header are smaller. I've never seen this before. Fortunately I found a regular pin elsewhere to connect to.

Is this right? What connector is required to mount on the CS header?

Thx,
Ersterhernd

Hey! I found a solution to connect to the Custom Solutions header. It fits over the smaller pins like a glove!

Kept it from my first G5 project, knew I'd put it to use someday... :thumbup:

IMG_3301.JPG

Sorry about the poor quality of this iPhone closeup photo.

IMG_3300.JPG

I don't recognise that from my G5 is it the front panel cable?

When you said you found a regular pin with 5V, can you confirm which pin it is?

Thanks

Kiwi, the pin I was talking about was the 3.3v supply for the Apple Bluetooth module. It was Pin 1 of the yellow DCIM header.

Yes its the front panel cable. Has 18 pin connector at both ends. I put the voltage meter on it today to test resistance and find which wires matched at each end and mapped them out on paper. Plugged one end into the Custom Solutions header, leaving an overhang of 2 wires at each end (as the CS header only has fourteen pins, there are four extra on the cable) and ran the other end up top so its easier to get at.

The G5 front panel cable can be seen here plugged into the Custom Solutions header

IMG_3305.JPG

At the top, it is zip-tied into position for easy access. I've already got a USB+ and USB- plugged in. Note that you can't use regular single connectors, they're too big to plug in side-by-side. I just used some shrink tubing on the ends instead, good enough.

IMG_3307.JPG

I'll be using this end of the G5 cable to connect my Touch Sensor also. It's just good to know there is an effective solution available for anyone who's got the G5 front panel cable in their closet. I'm also really glad that I offset my intake fan away from the motherboard. It'd be awfully crowded in there with this G5 Cable if I hadn't done that.

Kiwi, there's a 5v pin on the Front Panel header too. I used it to power an extra USB port. I'm not sure if it supplies standby power though, haven't checked.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back