Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> DP to DP is always black! [I ended up replacing my GC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Start with replacing the DP cable. then GPU.

Try this, plugin the cable to monitor, don’t plugin the other side to GPU. is there hint on your display?
When I unplug the cable, and plug it back in within 15 seconds, I see:
"Check cable connection" followed by "no video input" (after plugging in)
When I unplug and wait a few minutes, the screen remains black when I plug the cable back in.

The case you replied pastrychef, it means your GPU does not have UEFI GOP, it is because you or someone flashed a modified vbios to your GPU.
Sorry, not sure what that is. I do see the new version of the bios settings, not the 80's version.
Ie, I can move the mouse, see animations, etc. It looks similar to this:

Last edited:
@pastrychef CSM disabled. Result: no improvement. Instead, I cannot get into BIOS. Black screen until login prompt. Hitting "Del" does nothing.

Hmm... Strange... RX 580 should have UEFI support... I don't know why you are unable to get even the motherboard post screen...

i mean, your AMD RX 580's BIOS has been flashed from factory to modified BIOS. you can flash it back, get the BIOS from https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/
And you think this might help with the display issue?
The thing is, I know next to nothing about bios flashing. With a fresh head, I"m all for experimenting, but just want to check:
- is there a way to see if it has indeed been flashed, or if the BIOS are original?
- is there a way to change them without Windows (a quick search showed windows-based tutorials, and I don't have windows running on my machine).
- "bricked" gets mentioned a lot. There are 3 bios for my ASUS RX 580 8 GB Dual OC on the site you shared. How can I tell which one do I need?

Many thanks!

Ok, everything I've read suggests I should not do the flash. Worse case I'll brick it and won't be able to use it. Best case, this effort may or may not even solve my problem, while the CSM setting may or may not give rise to sleep/wake issues in my hackintosh.
I"m going to leave things as they were, test on a new monitor, if that fails, buy a Sapphire and sell this Asus, before I brick it.

@justinhe @pastrychef Just an quick update - I ended up buying a new Sapphire Pulse and my monitor works with both DP and HDMI. There really was a problem with the graphics card, so good call on that one! Yay!
I've only spent about 5 hours on it so far... the wireless mouse was very laggy, and I had one kernel panic in the first minutes, but after a reset the problems seemed to have gone away on their own.
I hope it continues to be stable :)

Thank you both very much for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back