Graphics
GTX 970M / HD530
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Centris
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Just curious if anybody here knows whether the new MacBook Pro 16 could be downgraded to Mojave (from Catalina, which it ships with)? I know Macs don't officially support OS versions lower than the one they shipped with, but obviously this forum isn't exactly concerned with "official" support! ;-)

Unfortunately, because of the 16" Macbook Pro's T2 "security" chip and only 64-bit capabilities, it doesn't appear very likely that one could install any other macOS than the one that's already preinstalled on them: Catalina 10.15.1. Even attempting to boot an earlier macOS from an external drive ends up displaying the dreaded circle with a slash and proceeds no further. Perhaps someone will find an exploit in the new system to work around this Catalina OS only, but right now, it's a definite no go....

I'm monitoring this closely. I work extensively in Pro Tools, which has yet to be supported in Catalina (was aware of this when purchasing), and planned to use PT on a windows install until Catalina is an option. What I was not anticipating is the lack of support for ASIO4ALL on Macs with T2 chips :/

I have tried the external install option, and haven't had any success booting. I did attempt injecting graphics kexts from Catalina into the Mojave install, which was unsuccessful (I'm not at all certain I chose the correct kexts, however). I would love to hear of others experiences, and will keep this thread updated if I make any progress

@stevielee The features of the T2 chip are quickly and easily disabled by anyone with the machine's password from Recovery Mode, that is not an issue. Also, macOS Catalina itself is what is 64-bit-only, it has nothing to do with the hardware. It can absolutely run 32 bit programs in an OS that supports it.

32 bit IT CAN WORK on CATALINA and this 16inch MAC. I easly copy all folders and files from my MOJAVE mashine and paste it on my Catalina mashine on the same place and luckly they work on LOGIC PRO X .
For example I will give you Sonnox and Softube. Both of them works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back